Chickens in coop

My Puck Pucks

In the Brooder
May 23, 2022
I have two chicken coops, each with 8 chickens. I let them run free during the day and they come back to the coop at night. But lately all but two of the chickens are going into the same coop. Is there a reason for this? I have a mixture of Brahmas, Orpington, Ameraucana, Silkies and Bantys. Only the silkies are left in one of the coops. All of the rest go to the other coop. There are two roosters in the coop with eleven hens. One silkie rooster with the one silkie hen are staying in the other coop. Both coops measure 80 square feet. Can someone tell me why this happened and should I try to force them back into the other coop? Thank you.

It’s likely that the silkies, being smaller and simply different from the others haven’t integrated into this larger flock, whereas the others have. What out for signs of bullying towards them. Otherwise, it could just be that the silkies have become attached to this coop and prefer it to the company of other chickens. What is the other rooster? Because I’d worry if it was a larger roo running with bantam hens.

But lately all but two of the chickens are going into the same coop. Is there a reason for this?
A flock of chickens prefers to stay together. If the Silkies could fit in with the rest and feel secure that they had enough space in there, they would join the rest.
You have three roosters in a flock of 16 and that is too many for them to remain as a single flock. The Silkie rooster is keeping his hen in the other coop and formed a little sub-flock of 2.

Last edited:
It’s likely that the silkies, being smaller and simply different from the others haven’t integrated into this larger flock, whereas the others have. What out for signs of bullying towards them. Otherwise, it could just be that the silkies have become attached to this coop and prefer it to the company of other chickens. What is the other rooster? Because I’d worry if it was a larger roo running with bantam hens.
Thank you. I have a Brahma Rock and a Brahma Banty mix, both large birds, but the Brahma Banty is just a little smaller than the Brahma Rock. I hatched these birds myself in an incubator. So I am very attached to them. I haven't seen the roos fighting, I guess because there are a lot of hens. The bantys fly so if the rooster try to mount one, she just flies away. The silkies don't really hang out with the big guys outside, but they don't avoid them either. Sometimes they are all following each other around the house and the yard. I haven't noticed that the big guys are bullying the silkies. I don't think they do. D
o you think they will be warm enough just the two silkies in the big coop alone? I have heat lamps and lots oft straw and the coop is well insulated.

Thank you. I have a Brahma Rock and a Brahma Banty mix, both large birds, but the Brahma Banty is just a little smaller than the Brahma Rock. I hatched these birds myself in an incubator. So I am very attached to them. I haven't seen the roos fighting, I guess because there are a lot of hens. The bantys fly so if the rooster try to mount one, she just flies away. The silkies don't really hang out with the big guys outside, but they don't avoid them either. Sometimes they are all following each other around the house and the yard. I haven't noticed that the big guys are bullying the silkies. I don't think they do. D
o you think they will be warm enough just the two silkies in the big coop alone? I have heat lamps and lots oft straw and the coop is well insulated.
If the big guys aren’t harming the bantams than it should be alright, the Roos won’t fight once they have established a pecking order and there’s enough hens, especially if they’ve grown up together. I should think the silkies will be fine but it might be worth getting a couple more silkies to keep them company.

A flock of chickens prefers to stay together. If the Silkies cold fit in with the rest and feel secure that they had enough space in there, they would join the rest.
You have three roosters in a flock of 16 and that is too many for them to remain as a single flock. The Silkie rooster is keeping his hen in the other coop and formed a little sub-flock of 2.
A flock of chickens prefers to stay together. If the Silkies cold fit in with the rest and feel secure that they had enough space in there, they would join the rest.
You have three roosters in a flock of 16 and that is too many for them to remain as a single flock. The Silkie rooster is keeping his hen in the other coop and formed a little sub-flock of 2. I think you may be right. I am happy for that if that is the case because then I only have two roos with eleven hens. I haven't seen the roos fighting or being aggressive towards each other. Thank you.

If the big guys aren’t harming the bantams than it should be alright, the Roos won’t fight once they have established a pecking order and there’s enough hens, especially if they’ve grown up together. I should think the silkies will be fine but it might be worth getting a couple more silkies to keep them company.
Thank you. I will see about that. I love the little silkies. They are really adorable and fun to watch.

I think you may be right. I am happy for that if that is the case because then I only have two roos with eleven hens. I haven't seen the roos fighting or being aggressive towards each other. Thank you.

Do you think they will be warm enough just the two silkies in the big coop alone? I have heat lamps and lots oft straw and the coop is well insulated.
It's pretty rare that they actually need to heat a coop, depending on your climate.
Insulation is usually moot if you have adequate ventilation, which is way more important than warmth. It's a myth that more chickens keep a flock or coop warmer.
Pics of your coops, inside and out, would help get you the best advice.
Also.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1669558002218.png

It's pretty rare that they actually need to heat a coop, depending on your climate.
Insulation is usually moot if you have adequate ventilation, which is way more important than warmth. It's a myth that more chickens keep a flock or coop warmer.
Pics of your coops, inside and out, would help get you the best advice.
Also.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3334146
Thank you so much for your reply. In fact I am in Quebec and it gets down to -20 in the winter. So I have a heat lamp in each coop. they are very well insulated and we are now planning the ventilation. For the moment they go outside everyday and are free to roam. But soon they will have to stay in the coop when the snow gets too deep. Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom