1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens in DC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by aliciamehr, Jan 30, 2015.

1. aliciamehr

aliciamehr New Egg

Jan 30, 2015
    I have 6 hens in Washington DC. This morning I see one has some kind of gimp leg. I inspected everything I could think of.... Her behavior is normal she just has a hard time walking. I was looking at the "chickens feeling pain" convos because even tho this appears to be a problem she is not distressed at all. Any thoughts?

2. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!!!!!!!

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear you have a hen with a bad leg :hugs X2 on posting in the emergencies injuries and cure section of the forum. Have you checked thoroughly on the pads of her feet to make sure nothing is in there or if there is any discolouration on them? Posting as much information as possible about her symptoms is best so other members can help you.

Wishing you the best of luck with her and hope she is back to her best soon. Enjoy BYC :frow

4. aliciamehr

aliciamehr New Egg

Jan 30, 2015
    I did check her foot and I've been able to feel around her little leg and I can not tell where the problem is coming from. Definitely not a foot issue. But the use of the foot is affected. She does put a little weight on it to hobble around, poor thing, but behaving normal otherwise. She had just gotten herself into the laying box last I checked. So, that's normal too.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

She could have sprained it jumping down off the roost bar or somewhere outside. I would confine her for a few days to allow it to heal. If she continues to stress it the tendons could tear. Keep her in a cage within the coop and run each day for a week or so. Food and water really close. You can put her on the roost bar at night but be sure to get up there first thing in the morning so she doesn't jump down and re injure it. And don't let her get pushed off the bar at roosting time either when they are jostling around. So you might get her up there in the dark. Or just leave her in her cage. But some time off her feet might help to heal this leg.

Good luck and I hope she makes a full recovery!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your injured hen. [​IMG]Two Crows gave you some good advice.

Good luck with her!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I'm sorry to hear about your injured hen! You've received some good advice already.

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

If you don't see or feel the cause, then it is likely a strain as TwoCrows has already stated.

One of my hens did this in the fall, and each day she improved and by the 3rd day was ok. If yours acts, eats normally, then likely she will get over it. Just keep an eye on her.

Wishing your chicken a speedy recovery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by