Chickens in Glendale, AZ - We're on the right track!

Ok, if your dogs are barking at night don't let them out. If I was your neighbor I would be mad as heck the dogs are barking at night. Common courtesy. I have a dog door, I just don't use it, I supervise my dog. Course my beagle is rock stupid and will eat anything that will kill him. I let my wolf use the door when she was alive, but she was well behaved and if she barked it woke us up and we would bring her in and shut her door till she settled down. She knew it was a privilege not a right to come and go unsupervised.

I know phoenix residential did not allow farm animals in residential zones in the 80's and they considered chicken to be farm animals. I know a lot of people have been pushing their cities to recognize small flocks as pets. I would say as long as your rooster is trained not to crow and you keep it clean, they should be considered garden pets. And as long as your not selling your produce, it should still be legal to own a garden and a fruit tree. My grandma's house was right on the phoenix side of the Glendale boarder in Deer Valley and she had 3 huge grape fruit and 3 lemons, a huge garden, and I trained my rooster chick not to crow when growing up, just like a cat.

I would Gladly type something if someone gives my things to type. I will send them to you and you can print them and put them wherever. Get back to me soon!

Hi All,

Not sure if this feed is dead or not.

I am responding because right now my husband and I are in the process of doing a service request through City of Glendale planning and zoning to have R1-6 changed to allow chickens. We received citation on Tuesday and have until the 8th of June to "remedy" the situation. I have been on the phone with code, planning & zoning and the council. I have e-mailed about 30 people including the Arizona legislature. Had SB1151 passed this would be a non issue for any resident in the valley.

I am wondering if you have any words of wisdom to get this passed?

I'm onboard with the idea of allowing back yard chickens in Glendale. I've seen some city ordinances that allow smaller flocks (up to 6 hens), but without roosters to limit noise complaints. I think Mesa's ordinance is along those lines.

I'm currently putting an offer on a property in Glendale that has several food-bearing trees, and also has irrigation. I would really, really like to have a small flock of hens for eggs. Gardening would be nice, too, but I've seen some eyebrow-raising things within city ordinance that makes me think that we might have issues with gardening.

The second the deal goes through and I move up there, I'll do everything I can to support the cause.

Back
Top Bottom