Chickens in Klamath County

MrsRobinson1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 6, 2013
I recently found out that we are unable to have any small animals, such as chickens, in Klamath county if you live on under and acre. I would like to see what can be done to change this but have no idea where to start?! Any help or suggestions would be awesome!~

Says who? I'm not seeing this mentioned in the Klamath County Code. I have every intention of getting chickens for my backyard this spring and I have under an acre.

I spoke with a code enforcement officer. I'm off of Homedale and have a little over a third of an acre. He said that he knows about my birds and does not care unless someone make a report, however if you read the land use laws is states that you can have 2 large animals or 12 small animals on an acre. He said that if it was closer to half an acre that he would half that and 1 and 12 would be okay but on less land than that he was not going to do the math.

Well friend, knowledge is power! Here is the Land Development Code:
http://www.klamathcounty.org/depts/planning/downloads/Codes_Plans/LandDevCode/KC_LDC_COMPLETE.pdf

I do not know what zone you are exactly, but on 1/3 acre off of Homedale, chances are you classify as Suburban Residential.

For this zone, large animals require a 20,000 square foot minimum, (roughly 1/2 acre), but there are no minimum acreage requirements on small animals. You are allowed up to 24 small animals per acre per 51.520.G. That should allow you to have 8 chickens.

You should have chickens. If the code enforcement officer ever gives you any problems, refer to the below permitted uses.

ARTICLE 51.5
SUBURBAN RESIDENTIAL (RS)
51.510 - PURPOSE
The purpose of this zone is to establish and maintain suburban areas for residential use.
This zone serves to implement the Comprehensive Plan calling for use of 1 to 4 dwellings
units per acre. Typically, this zone is appropriate for neighborhoods where the majority of
the lots are large enough to maintain domesticated animals.
51.520 - PERMITTED USES
The following uses shall be permitted subject to site plan review of Article 41, and all other
applicable standards, criteria, rules and statutes governing such uses:
A. Single-family dwelling
B. Manufactured Home
C. Essential Service
D. Home Day Care
E. Residential Care Home
F. Residential Care Facility
G. Small Animals - not to exceed 24 animals per acre
H. Large animals if lot is over 20,000 square feet; not to exceed 2 animals per acre.
I. Accessory Buildings and Uses
J. Community Park

One item of note, if you do have to go toe to toe with the code officer, make sure your coop is 50 feet from your dwelling per 62.050.D.2.

Any accessory building sheltering livestock or other animals shall be located no closer than 50
feet to any dwelling or other building used for human habitation.

Well friend, knowledge is power! Here is the Land Development Code:
http://www.klamathcounty.org/depts/planning/downloads/Codes_Plans/LandDevCode/KC_LDC_COMPLETE.pdf

I do not know what zone you are exactly, but on 1/3 acre off of Homedale, chances are you classify as Suburban Residential.
For this zone, large animals require a 20,000 square foot minimum, (roughly 1/2 acre), but there are no minimum acreage requirements on small animals. You are allowed up to 24 small animals per acre per 51.520.G. That should allow you to have 8 chickens.

You should have chickens. If the code enforcement officer ever gives you any problems, refer to the below permitted uses.

ARTICLE 51.5
SUBURBAN RESIDENTIAL (RS)
51.510 - PURPOSE
The purpose of this zone is to establish and maintain suburban areas for residential use.
This zone serves to implement the Comprehensive Plan calling for use of 1 to 4 dwellings
units per acre. Typically, this zone is appropriate for neighborhoods where the majority of
the lots are large enough to maintain domesticated animals.
51.520 - PERMITTED USES
The following uses shall be permitted subject to site plan review of Article 41, and all other
applicable standards, criteria, rules and statutes governing such uses:
A. Single-family dwelling
B. Manufactured Home
C. Essential Service
D. Home Day Care
E. Residential Care Home
F. Residential Care Facility
G. Small Animals - not to exceed 24 animals per acre
H. Large animals if lot is over 20,000 square feet; not to exceed 2 animals per acre.
I. Accessory Buildings and Uses
J. Community Park

One item of note, if you do have to go toe to toe with the code officer, make sure your coop is 50 feet from your dwelling per 62.050.D.2.

Any accessory building sheltering livestock or other animals shall be located no closer than 50
feet to any dwelling or other building used for human habitation.

I did read that and I agree. I also talked to a lawyer just as consultation and he said it should not be a problem either. Love my fluffy buts and didn't want to lose them

Back
Top Bottom