Chickens in my garden beds while I was weeding...Grrr

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenannie, Aug 21, 2008.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I thought it was humorous until they dug up (coincidentally) the entire bed of chicks 'n hens (or cats 'n kittens, or whatever you like to call them). I was soooo mad at them, they just wouldn't leave me alone to do my work -- darting in every time I pulled a weed. Had to cover the whole darn bed with chicken netting just to protect it from them. How the heck am I gonna keep my new plants alive?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] How ironic that they dug up the chicks n hens plants! [​IMG]

3. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    It might be easier to fence in your gardent than to fence in your chickens??

I read that somewhere and need to follow my own advice because my chickens "beheaded" all my wonderful pepper plants.... [​IMG]

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Your going to have to fence it. Chickens will eat any veggies and dig up alot of the plants. I turned mine loose in my annual herb beds after harvesting and they did a nice job of turning up the entire plot and destroying any leftover plants.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, I fence in the garden.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Chickens love, love, love that fresh potting soil, all loose and fluffy. If you want to have any hope of a garden, put up a fence. Chickens cannot be trained to stay out of the garden. i've tried.

7. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I did put up a garden, but this is a 2 x 3 foot bed in front of the house --not really worth fencing in. When it was weedy I didn't mind so much. Now that i've cleaned out the weeds, i want it to stay purty!

By the way, turns out that turkeys love love love Chinese cabbage. They stripped mine down to the soil like it's candy.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Yup, it's perfect for a dust bath. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by