Chickens in Mystic CT...

lobsterchicken

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 24, 2011
Does anybody know what zoning says a bout keeping chickens in Mystic CT (on the Groton side)? Zoning hasn't called back...

Hi, try your animal control officer. They will know the local laws. I found out the hard way a couple of weeks ago that roosters are a no-no. Luckily I got to rehome them. Anyway, our animal control guy recommended calling anytime there was a question. Hope that helps!!

Hello there LobsterChicken,

Also a Mystic resident and I know the answer for if you live on the Groton side of Mystic. After speaking with both the lovely Zoning and Animal Control, I can now answer that question. In the Town of Groton, we are allowed to have chickens IF we have 5 acres of land and the coop isn't within 100 ft of any neighboring property lines. There are no restrictions on flock size and no ban on roosters. However, if we lived in the City of Groton there are no restrictions. Strange, no?

I hope that helps!

Yeah idk why most citys in CT ban chickens... Thank god I live in a small town, here we have no limit on chickens or roosters I could have 50 roosters growing in the morning and animal patrol cant do anything if I wanted to..

Anyways Mystic is very beautiful place!

Last edited:
I live in Lebanon and there are no bans on chickens there either. I know that if your neighbors do not like them then they can make trouble for you no matter where you live.

5 acres! How much trouble could I get into if I only have an acre and a third?

I live on nice quiet cul-de-sac and already have the blessing of my neighbors.

Sounds like it is time for a Backyard Chicken Revolution!

Power to the Chicken Tenders!

Hi! Im also in Mystic (Groton side) and am not living on 5 acres…I too agree it is a stinking bureaucratic way of keeping chicken rearers out of our Town, unbelievable! Wanna start a revolution and get these ordinances changed? I'm in! The only reason there are no restrictions in Groton City is because most of the snooty nosed rich people don't live there, and thats where there's a bunch of public housing, so nobody with a powerful voice cares. Is it such a big secret that Mystic is home to a handful of sizable trailer parks? So why the discrimination!? And don't even get me started on industrialized factory food products (cuz you really can't call any of it food) ugh!

Just an FYI. I have heard from a friend that there is a push to get them legalized soon. I am in a town over and have 7 acres so I am not in any violations. I hope you guys get your zoning regs changed. I know several people personally that would like to see that and many more that don't want chickens but like the idea of people having them. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom