Chickens in Parsippany NJ

yardbirdadvocate

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2023
I just made my second appearance in Parsippany-Troy Hills Municipal Court about my nine pet chickens and their coop. I have extensive experience with both zoning and building codes, so when I was contacted by the Zoning Enforcement Officer, I asked that he issue me a written violation with citations. When I received the violation notice and citations, I read the Ordinance. The incorrect citations substantiated my assumption that I could have pet chickens. During the hearing, the judge researched (looked up ordinance sections) and came to the same conclusion. The Zoning Department accepted his determination that, unless otherwise written, the Ordinance does not prohibit pet chickens in Parsippany.
[See §430-40 Accessory uses D.: Domestic pet animal enclosures or structures for use to shelter the pets of properties' residents are permitted accessory uses.]

The Zoning Department asked that I file for a zoning permit. I initially agreed. I have since read the Ordinance again. Not only am I allowed to have pet chickens, I'm not required to seek a zoning permit for their coop according to § 430-9. Applicability. To be continued.

Hi yardbirdadvocate! My dad and I live in Lake Hiawatha and we were raising five chickens in our backyard until about a year ago. After raising them for about half a year, we received a letter from our town asking us to relocate our chickens, citing regulation that prohibits chickens without having at least five acres of land. At the time, we were really devastated because we did not feel like we had any options but to lose our chickens and we really enjoyed their company and eggs.

After discovering this thread, we feel like we want to give it another shot. We were wondering if you would be interested in sharing more information about your journey to keeping your chickens?

Other questions we have are:
1. Around how much land is within your property?
2. How did you talk to your neighbors about the chickens and were they supportive?

If you're interested, we'd love to talk more, either here or through email/phone. Thank you!

I just made my second appearance in Parsippany-Troy Hills Municipal Court about my nine pet chickens and their coop. I have extensive experience with both zoning and building codes, so when I was contacted by the Zoning Enforcement Officer, I asked that he issue me a written violation with citations. When I received the violation notice and citations, I read the Ordinance. The incorrect citations substantiated my assumption that I could have pet chickens. During the hearing, the judge researched (looked up ordinance sections) and came to the same conclusion. The Zoning Department accepted his determination that, unless otherwise written, the Ordinance does not prohibit pet chickens in Parsippany.
[See §430-40 Accessory uses D.: Domestic pet animal enclosures or structures for use to shelter the pets of properties' residents are permitted accessory uses.]

The Zoning Department asked that I file for a zoning permit. I initially agreed. I have since read the Ordinance again. Not only am I allowed to have pet chickens, I'm not required to seek a zoning permit for their coop according to § 430-9. Applicability. To be continued.
Hi, just wondering if you got any further with this.

Hi, just wondering if you got any further with this.
Yes, I just won in Municipal Court! The judge ruled that the Parsippany-Troy Hills Zoning Ordinance does NOT prohibit pet chickens. Pet chickens are permitted as-of-right in an R-3, R-3 (RCA) and R-3A (RCA) residential Districts.

See Article X R-3, R-3 (RCA) and R-3A (RCA) residential Districts
430-64 Permitted uses, 430-66 Accessory uses, and 430-40 Accessory uses. It is self-explanatory. Notwithstanding, the Township seemed dumbstruck by the ruling.

Yes, I just won in Municipal Court! The judge ruled that the Parsippany-Troy Hills Zoning Ordinance does NOT prohibit pet chickens. Pet chickens are permitted as-of-right in an R-3, R-3 (RCA) and R-3A (RCA) residential Districts.

See Article X R-3, R-3 (RCA) and R-3A (RCA) residential Districts
430-64 Permitted uses, 430-66 Accessory uses, and 430-40 Accessory uses. It is self-explanatory. Notwithstanding, the Township seemed dumbstruck by the ruling.
Hi,
Do you know if ducks would also be considered pets? Or would that be a separate issue?

So, if I understood correctly, we don’t need a permit for pet chicks in Parsippany? Or do we still need to go through zoning dept to get a permit?

Back
Top Bottom