Backyard Fowl Ordinance

Cregg McMuffin

Chirping
Mar 29, 2020
Minneapolis, MN
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! I am looking for some feedback for our city's updated backyard fowl ordinance. We are looking to increase the limit of fowl per household from 3 to 6. I made a few other updates as well. Is there anything I am missing from this code or things I should consider based upon your experience? Any feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. For context this ordinance is for a city in Minnesota. Thank you!

Subdivision 1. Prohibition. No person owning or keeping chickens, ducks, geese, pigeons or other fowl or birds may abandon said fowl or permit the same to run at large or enter upon the premises of another without permission, nor may any such fowl or birds be kept, raised or permitted to run at large on any street, park, lake or public ponding area. Slaughter of any kind shall be prohibited within the City of Richfield.

Subd. 2. Limitation on number. No more than six (6) fowl or birds may be kept or raised on any residential property in the City. This limitation does not apply to the keeping of pigeons pursuant to a license under the provisions of this section.

Subd. 3. Injury or annoyance to others. No such fowl or birds may be kept or raised in a manner as to cause injury or annoyance to persons on other property in the vicinity by reason of noise, odor or filth.

a. Fecal waste or litter shall be removed at such reasonable times to prevent odors from emitting over property lines.

b. If any coop is identified as a public nuisance and the owner has been notified to abate the issue(s) but fails to correct said issue(s) within a reasonable time, any permits associated with the coop shall be subject to denial or revocation. The coop and all fowl shall be removed by the property owner within forty-eight (48) hours of notice of the revoked or denied permit at the expense of the permit holder or applicant.

c. Public nuisance for the purpose of coops includes, without limitation, any chicken coop that on three (3) or more occurrences in a twelve (12) month period receives complaints of noise, odor, or any other violation from more than one complainant, provided the complaints are reasonable and founded.

Subd. 4.
Impounding of fowl or birds. A fowl or bird at large in violation of subdivision 1 may be impounded by the City, and, after being impounded for three (3) days or more without being reclaimed by the owner, may be destroyed or sold. A person reclaiming any impounded fowl shall pay the cost of impounding and keeping the same.

Subd. 5.
Acquisitions. No person may own or keep chickens, ducks, geese, pigeons, or other fowl/birds without obtaining a permit. Approval of application is subject to reasonable conditions including adequate coop and run space and proper predator proofing measures. Failure to adhere to permit conditions shall constitute cause for adverse action against the permit and shall be a violation of this section.

a. Fowl must be purchased or acquired in accordance with Minn. Statute Sections 70.40 and 74.100 and any other applicable law.

b. A permit may be granted pursuant to this section only after the applicant has met any educational requirements as established and published by MACC. If the applicant is a renter, approval from the property owner shall be required.

c. All permits are valid for 24 months unless otherwise revoked. The application fees for such permits shall be payable upon submission of application. The city may inspect the premises annually or as deemed necessary.

Not sure if they apply. I would try to make numbers based on lot size, so someone on a larger lot could keep more chickens.

Educational requirements is pretty vague.

"Acquisitions" does not define "proper" or "adequate." Anything vague can be used to ban chickens altogether if the inspecting authority doesn't like the color of your shoes today.

Back
Top Bottom