Lease Violation or no?

when an attorney gets involved
In my experience more people talk about getting lawyers involved than actually do. Once a person realizes they charge a huge sum per hour often in six minute increments the lawyer talk fizzles out. That said, bring it on. I would not hire a lawyer to defend a lease, but I would certainly keep the lawyer busy, answering letters and emails at your expense.

Humans are so arrogant that when they rent something to another human they demand to be called "lord"
I hate the term as well, but it goes back hundreds of years and nobody is demanding to be called lord that I have ever come across. I use the terms lessor and lessee,

In the end, their is a lease, a contract that both parties signed and that is what matters.

In my experience more people talk about getting lawyers involved than actually do. Once a person realizes they charge a huge sum per hour often in six minute increments the lawyer talk fizzles out. That said, bring it on. I would not hire a lawyer to defend a lease, but I would certainly keep the lawyer busy, answering letters and emails at your expense.
I'm not renting a property from you. I was speaking theoretically and giving advice to OP out of kindness

You're correct that when lawyers are mentioned that it almost never proceeds farther. The last time I was renting a property, many years ago, the property owner attempted to lie and claim my rent payment never arrived in the mail

Fortunately I always maintain multiple records, both with the bank and post office, so as soon as the land"lord" lied to me I was able to threaten him with a lawyer and he immediately "found" my check in the mail

It's a terrible shame that in this world landlords are so greedy to make extra cash that they'll make children homeless to do it

Unless the check was processed, you had no proof that it was received.
I mailed it with tracking at the post office, and my bank has a record of the cashier's check

You must be a landlord yourself. I hope you don't also try to make your renters homeless when you think the market value has risen

I mailed it with tracking at the post office, and my bank has a record of the cashier's check

You must be a landlord yourself. I hope you don't also try to make your renters homeless when you think the market value has risen
Point was that processing of payment is the only true proof. I conduct honest business.

Point was that processing of payment is the only true proof. I conduct honest business.
I've had one honest landlord in the past and one dishonest. I have no idea what would hold up in court as legal evidence because I'm not a judge or lawyer. I'm just a humble chicken farmer

All that matters is that as soon as I mentioned my mail was tracked and to direct all further inquiries to my attorney he "found" my mail

My experience with a landlord years ago is not a personal attack on you
"The wicked flee where none pursue, but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

That is horrible advice, if I had a tenant tell me that I would not renew their lease.
I agree, when I had rental property, before hurricane Katrina, everything had to be in writing. Sorry to say but that tenant would have been evicted. Under Louisiana all I would have had to do was notify the tenant that he was in violation of the lease, not accept the next month's rent and go get paperwork stamped by a judge. Sorry, I think if you had asked first you may have had a better outcome.

I've had one honest landlord in the past and one dishonest. I have no idea what would hold up in court as legal evidence because I'm not a judge or lawyer. I'm just a humble chicken farmer

All that matters is that as soon as I mentioned my mail was tracked and to direct all further inquiries to my attorney he "found" my mail

My experience with a landlord years ago is not a personal attack on you
It is hard for both people that rent and people who own that rental at different times. My father and law got cheated out of a couple thousand dollars by a tenant who was using rent money to buy drugs instead of pay him (even stealing their roommates money, too). We didn't catch on, because he is getting so far up there in age, he was just confused about the whole thing.

My husband had to politely ask her to leave, and threaten repercussions. We were going to press charges, but my father in law said not to bother. I don't know why, but the point of the story is that in a business relationship both parties are vulnerable to the other party's misgivings.

Okay, fun tangent 😅 . Back to the poster's predicament.

Maybe you can re-home these ones, or set them up at a friend or relatives house? I agree with Brooks that their housing sounds too small, so someone who already has a coop and could add them may be ideal.

I think your landlord would respect it more if you found a new place for them and then talked about it with them, saying you honestly didn't know. They may not feel comfortable allowing tenants to have chickens just since it is a multi-unit development and things could get hairy, but if other tenants there are interested maybe you would have some bargaining power.

All these folks are right, though. Trying to be as upstanding as you can possibly be does work out better in the end. If it doesn't work out that you can keep them there, just be on the lookout for places you can move to that will let you.

I am at a rental property and have a pet, so I put down the pet deposit for my cat when I moved in a while ago. The lease does not say anything about permitted # of pets or type of pets.
Does the lease list the cat you have? Or does it just have a spot that says you paid a pet deposit, without stating what pet you paid the deposit for? The exact details can be important in situations like this.

My property manager just messaged me saying "the owner stopped by and was disappointed to see chickens. Are they yours?" I responded with some of the above information and stated I did not think I was in violation of the lease. In effort to be forward thinking, does the owner have any say about the hens being considered pets, or anything else in violation of the lease, especially since they are just off the property line?
Depending on the exact terms of the lease, the owner might have a say in the matter.

And any piece of property belongs to someone. In this case, the easement/alley where you have the chickens might belong to the person who owns the house, or it might belong to the city, or something like that. Whoever does own that bit of land will have the right to make you move the chickens off, if that is what they choose to do.

Back
Top Bottom