Chickens in shock.

Aber

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 27, 2017
Two of my girls, a white plymouth and a mille fleur d'uccle, escaped the run yesterday evening and had a close encounter with a dog during their jaunt. Other than a few missing tail feathers they seem alright physically. There is no blood, their comb and wattles are not pale. But they are wandering aimlessly around the run with their flockmates now. I brought some melon out and they did peck at it a bit, but then got back to wandering forlornly or standing one spot, panting. The d'uccle did a full somersault when she tried to hop off her roost this morning and clumsily got back to her feet and wandered out. She's usually the feisty little meanie-butt of the flock! It's going to be another hot day out and I'm worried about them dehydrating or just keeling over... do I need to bring them in and let them rest? The other hens are not messing with them at all, and they are moving around and eating a tiny bit, but far from normal. Thank you for your help!

Did you witness the attack? If not then it's possible that they were injured. They could have been squeezed/crushed or shaken, and could be very sore, and possibly have internal injuries that are not obvious. And shock is an issue. I would crate them for a bit so you can observe them, make sure they stay hydrated, monitor their eating and drinking, make sure droppings are normal. Keep them in a quiet, warm place. If it's just shock then they should look better in 24 hours, if it's more then it depends on what kind of injuries they got. They may be bruised and sore for a while. If you haven't done so, I would give them a thorough going over end to end to check for any wounds like punctures that may have been missed, and clean and treat those if found.

I witnessed the end of the attack, and judging by the amount of feathers I'm guessing I saw most of it. They got themselves wedged where the dog couldn't reach them. That said, I did check them from head to vent to toes, and found nothing but a small bald patch on their bums. I just brought them some electrolyte water and they are drinking greedily. Clara, the Plymouth, is being very affectionate and actually followed the rest of the girls to the compost pile and turned it up for a while before going back and hiding near the coop. Egwene, the d'uccle, seems to be too afraid to go out in the open part of the run, so I put a bowl of water and food near where she is hiding, but she is moving around smoothly, if more sluggishly.

Sounds like mostly shock then. They can be affected and afraid for awhile when something traumatic happens, after a hawk attack my flock was really reluctant to leave the coop for several days, and were flighty and nervous for a while. Just keep an eye on them just in case, but time will probably be all they need. Do you know how they escaped? I'd try to remedy that.

Yes, they have dust bath right near the fence that kept getting deeper. I knew it was a problem, but I'm 8 months pregnant and also knew it would require hauling timbers to line the run. :he They have gotten out two other times and got luckiy before. My husband stayed out til way past dark lining the whole thing with railroad ties...so they're not getting out the same way again. We'll baby them extra for the next few days! I feel so awful!!

Accidents happen, don't beat yourself up. Chickens can get themselves into some predicaments sometimes, all we can do is try to prevent it from happening again. It's not always easy to see things from the chickens perspective, so stuff happens. It sounds like they will be OK, so try not to feel too bad. Best wishes to you and your coming new addition!

Yes, they have dust bath right near the fence that kept getting deeper. I knew it was a problem, but I'm 8 months pregnant and also knew it would require hauling timbers to line the run. :he They have gotten out two other times and got luckiy before. My husband stayed out til way past dark lining the whole thing with railroad ties...so they're not getting out the same way again. We'll baby them extra for the next few days! I feel so awful!!
Bless your heart!
I had the same thing happen to my birds and my Red Star was is in terrible shock. It took a full 24 hours for her to recover. Your birds will be okay!
Blessings,
4 GA Hens

I just flashed back to when my dog was attacked by another dog. Wasn’t until the vet shaved him down that the injury’s were visible ( no blood thought it was just shock). Give them a good once over look down to the skin, everywhere.

I had some bird in one of my open coops attacked by an owl. The owl killed some of the birds and there were 2 females and 1 male left. They were really freaked out so I took them out and put them in another coop and pen. They were acting strangely for a few days but eventually started being themselves. My male was really bloody so he must have fought with the owl.
IMG_0028.JPG
2014-11-18 17.08.57.jpg

I dreamed that I went out to recheck them for injuries and found them casually wandering around, missing their heads, and I panicked thinking, "How could I have missed that?!"
But! In reality they are looking SO much better this morning! They bustled out of the coop with the rest of the flock and even shooed the young brahmas to the back of the line for breakfast. Egwene seems to have her gliding compromised by the missing tail feathers, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing I think that was what caused her tumble yesterday morning. But she is back to her plucky self today! Thank you guys so much!

Back
Top Bottom