1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens in the city

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Simone, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Simone

Simone New Egg

Mar 15, 2007
    Hi I am new to all this. I live on a property where both my neighbors have dogs. I have a dog and a cat too. So I was not really worried about preditors in the middle of the day. There is also a six foot fence surrounding my property. But I wanted to enclose my garden area inside the back yard. It is about 60 feet long and 15 feet wide. Can I get a way with a 4 foot high fence around the garden if I put the hens in a pen after dark? Thanks

2. Wes in Tx

Wes in Tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas
    The height of the fence depends on the type of chickens. I have a 5 ft fence around one pen with production reds in it and have found one outside the fence a couple different times. As long as the area isn't over crowded with birds you may be OK with a 4 ft fence but I would almost bet they will fly out no matter what the breed unless you cover the top of with sometype of netting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by