Chickens in the garden

CityGirlintheCountry

Green Eggs and Hamlet
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Middle TN
Hi! I'm new to the world of chickens. I've been contemplating adding some Arucanas/Americanas to my pet menagerie. I did add a veggie garden to my yard this year. It has been hit by a variety of bugs, worms, etc. especially Japanese beetles. So now I'm contemplating putting a small chicken coop in the veggie garden and getting a few chickens to help with the bug catching. Will this work?
The veggie garden is fenced in on all four sides. We have stray dogs and cats, as well as hawks and huge crows and such out here. If I build a small run and put them back in at night will we be okay?

Any thoughts?
City Girl

If your chickens are going to run through the garden eating bugs, etc, they will also be dining on your delicious fresh veggies.
wink.png

Mine will come through the fence and eat my corn on the cobbs, squash and tomatoes. I have to pick the tomatoes before they get too red, otherwise the chickens will get to them before me.

Generally, chickens will put themselves to bed. When it gets to be dusk they like to go back to the roost, so all you'll have to do is secure the door behind them.
D.gif

Eek! I don't want them to eat the veggies! I'm having enough trouble with the bunnies thinking my garden is just a huge rabbit buffet!
Hmmm...
CG

Chickens are very good for your garden in many other ways, though.

When you clean the litter out of their house, the wood shavings and chicken poo make fantastic compost material for your garden soil.

They are wonderful company while you are out working in the garden, even if you have to visit through a fence.

They appreciate any bug you toss their way or any garden trimmings.

You will get the most wonderful eggs you've ever tasted.

Last, but not least, they will be happy to dig up your garden dirt in the spring and fall.

They can even keep the rows clear during garden season, if you build them a little portable chicken tractor, that fits between the rows.

They can even keep the rows clear during garden season, if you build them a little portable chicken tractor, that fits between the rows.

Oh, now that's a wonderful idea!!​

WoodlandWoman wrote:
When you clean the litter out of their house, the wood shavings and chicken poo make fantastic compost material for your garden soil.

You do have to let the poo decompose for a few monthes or it will will burn the plants.​

Last edited:
Either build a good fence around your garden, or get Guineas, instead. They won't tear up your garden and are bug eating machines.
smile.png

My chickens looooooove the garden!
Our compost heap is attached to the garden so if anyone leaves the gate open that's the first place they go.
They also love the vegetables. they come in and practically demolish most of the place.

Thanks, y'all!

So much for my hope that the chickens would debug and weed for me.
smile.png

I had already heard that aged chicken manure was excellant compost/fertilizer. The garden is right next to the house (literally). How far away should the chicken coop be to keep the odor to a minimum when sitting on the front porch? For ease of manure transport, it seems logical to have it next to the garden. We do hang out on the porch a lot though when it's pretty. Hate to make it stinky!

thanks,
CG

Back
Top Bottom