chickens in the garden

kenbob

Hatching
8 Years
9 Years
Jan 24, 2011
is it a good idea to let your chickens in your vegetable garden, or will they do more damage than good?

our chickens an ducks ate our garden til the plants were nuttin but sticks in the ground. The tomatoes,carrots,lettuce,tobacco,all of them gone!!

So no its not a good idea.

Well, they wil eat everything, destroying all plants in the process. So if that is your intention, then go for it.:lol

In fall I turn the chiken in to our garden to clean up the leftovers and dig around. They love it, no part of my garden survives.

Damage is their forte. Chickens are great at fertilizing gardens for NEXT growing season, though. Like another has mentioned, let 'em in after the growing season to clean everything up, put their poo and used bedding over the top of it, then till it in at the beginning of the growing season.

Then fence in the garden!

Quote:
That and clip their wings!

I let my hens into my garden one day very briefly and they wound up getting our first ripe tomato from our first ever garden (in our new house).
big_smile.png

Mine were fine in the garden...until they realized that they could actually eat the stuff...and that it was good. If I want to let them free range at all this year I am going to have to fence the garden off. They make a beeline right for it. They ruined so many tomatoes last year when I wasn't looking. They enjoyed themselves though!

Thanks for the reply, I guess chicken gardeners look better on paper than in actuality!!!!!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom