Chickens in the ice storm

i wonder if it's going to snow or have some werid change in the weather. the boss chicken i had mentioned earlier jsut rounded up the other chickens this evening just like a rooster would do and put them in the old coop wehre they never go. seriously. then made the rounds of the yard like a rooster sort of keeping an eye on everything. then went in too.

so, maybe the weather will be worse tonight?

I went to let my girls out this mornin, slipped on the ice I thought was just precip and fell, then slid from the momentum about four feet off the sidewalk into the icelaced leaves. That sucked.
Poor girls didnt know WHAT to think. Luckily I wasnt hurt, even tho I fell smack on my chest, am sore as all get out, but had a REAL furry coat on that has LOTS of padding. More shocking than anything.
I bet I looked funny body snowboarding across the sidewalk!
I didnt even take my mail out after that, got the girls out and said forget it for the rest of the day. Did get nice later tho, warmed up to 40's this afternoon. They called for major storm, but nothin much happened cept this morn.

We had the ice storm go through - it wasn't too bad, most was over night - a little ice this am - but it was SUPER pretty - we're left now with ice ALL over the ground, its formed a nice crust.
The chickens were in and out all day, eating the ice for the most part, but they didn't seem to concerned about it - we covered thier run with a tarp a couple of weeks ago so most of their run was untouched by the ice.

Sorry about your fall Jill - glad you're ok!!!! ours wasn't too slick - might be more so tomorrow once its had a chance to freeze into a solid layer! But our walking path is on dirt and gravel - so the ice just kinda moved as we walked, wasn't firm and slick.

Our girls didn't want to leave their shelter today, but the do usually spend time under the henhouse any other day. Mr. Fancy Pants (standard buff Cochin rooster) is the one who leads the ladies on their outings and he did not go out. I did open the big door to change the water and several of the girls sat on the open sill but did not venture into the weather. The weather is one of the many reasons I love Iowa - you never know what is next but it is not a boring 75 degrees and sunny everyday.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom