chickens in the rain

dldavis34

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 16, 2009
Montrose, CO
I have 4 barred leghorn hens and 1 rooster. It has been raining for 4 hours straight now and instead of them being inside out of the rain they are all roosting outside on top of the run. I tried to get them inside but they will not go. Will they be okay sitting in the rain getting wet? Sounds like a dumb question. I am not an expert at raising chickens so I am unsure. Can anyone let me know please? Thank you!.

Our chickens LOVE the rain, it's their favorite weather. I don't know where "madder than a wet hen" comes from or "Madder than a rained on rooster" because all of ours love it. If you can't get them in it's a moot point but I figure they know best. I would have said that, actually, before I had chickens, now I know they might just be too dumb to come in
roll.png
but I do know ours make a point of going out in the rain.

It depends on the temperature. This time of year, it's probably ok. But a few months ago I can remember reading a post here from a member who had several young chickens die when they stayed outdoors and got soaked through in a cold rain.

At 13 weeks, they'll be fine. Chickens like the rain, and they should have nice clean and shiny feathers the next day.

If it's cold outside, then you have to be careful. Sometimes, they'll still stand in the rain, then freeze later. Especially, if it's somewhat warmer during the day than the evening.

Summer time they'll be fine though.

Back
Top Bottom