chickens in the same yard as the goats

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by adorable, Mar 3, 2009.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I am not to sure where to post this. I am getting 6 ready to lay hens from the feed store. I was wondering if i can have them range with my mini goats.?

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    Sure! They still need a secure place to roost at night, but usually goats and chickens get along fine.

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, totally fine! My two boys and the flock live together in harmony. [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    yup..mine have had no probs...the goats dont even seem to know they are there.. [​IMG]

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    I'll just paste something I had written for someone on another forum about it..

It is possible to have them together, but we try not to.
    Reasons being:
    Chickens like roosting, and can soil hay, feed, and water, and also poop on the goat itself.
    Some goats don't like chickens and can actually hurt the chicken, one of our goats broke one of our hen's legs in half, although that was by accident I'm sure.. goats can get pretty heavy!

You can free range your chickens during the day and they will most likely enjoy the goats pen if they can get in.

Also - goats can get sick from chicken feed, most nonmedicated chicken feed is safe for goats, such as stratch grains etc, but its mainly the medicated stuff you need to watch out for, and vise versa.

6. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Thanks
    They will have their own spot to sleep at night. Not with goats. I just didnt want to make another seperate pen for outside. As goes for feed. I am going organic. [​IMG]

7. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    what i am really concerened about is each other eating poops. I know chickens will eat anything. WIll they eat goat poop. Or goats eat chicken poop..??[​IMG][​IMG]

8. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I would completely expect them to. But hey, if you are feeding organic, then they are eating organic poop! No problem!! [​IMG]

9. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually, our girls and guys leave the goat poop alone. And the goats....well, they aren't the brightest crayons in the box, but they are smarter than that. [​IMG]

10. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had my goats and chickens together for 2 years. They don't eat other's poop. The goats cannot get into the chicken coop. Well, a couple of times they snuck in when I had the door open and tried to eat the chicken feed. Don't let goats eat the chicken feed. It's not good for them.

My goats and chickens love each other! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by