Chickens in the winter

Iowa Farm Boy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 11, 2014
How do i make sure my chickens dont get bored? And why wont they go outside during the winter? Also should i keep a heat lamp on them 24/7?

Personally, I don't think chickens need entertainment. As long as they have plenty of room, feed and water, they'll be fine. Keep them too crowded and you will have problems with feather picking and other behaviors. You do not need a heat lamp. You will be doing them a disservice rather than a favor. There are many, many threads on heating coops. Read them and find out what others have to say. They may not be going out because they don't like the wind, cold or snow.

Ditto on the post above. Mine seem to mostly just want to hunker down on bad days. Even my guineas just sit around. Nice days they'll go entertain themselves. Heat is unnecessary for them, you can actually do more harm than good. There's many threads on that.

If your birds are molting,they may need it.

Keeping them interesting/business bored s easy.
Birds like roost/roosting.A few second stairs,outside roosts,or stumps Etc.

Chickens love food,hanging a apple up up would definitely keep them from getting bored.

You.
You and chickens can have fun.Talking,roosting,free ranging etc keeps them interested.

They may not go outside because their too cold ,or they just need to adjust to the weather changes.

Good luck
ThePRfan

They're chickens ... I don't think "bored" is possible. One might ask if cows get tired of eating grass or fish get tired of swimming.

I can pretty well guarantee you that you'll provide them with plenty of entertainment just doing routine chicken stuff. Ours love checking out what gets unearthed as I rake out the coop or run. I'm just waiting for one to hop on the rake for a ride.

As for their not venturing out, there could be any number of things keeping them in. Do they have to go out for food/water? Is it super windy?

If your worried about chickens being bored you could throw some meal worms or Sun flower seeds in the coop for them to scratch around in all day. Try hanging a head of cabbage or a suet ball. Do not heat your coop, chickens have existed since dinosaurs and have prevailed without supplemental heat. I understand you care/worry about your chickens but they will be fine without heat or activities, they are chickens all they know is how to be chickens lol. :)

Back
Top Bottom