Chickens in winter; how to entertain them

I use two bales of hay per pen. Usually alfalfa or a mixed hay including a legume. On bale is busted up while the second is positioned on the north side of the loose hay. Then each morning I toss intact grains on bale and among loose hay. The birds work through that mess much of the day just to get those grains.

A few years back prior to having barn in place I got more bales and a couple wooden pallets that were used to construct a loosely defined hut. Again a bale, or two, was busted. In that setting the birds spent much of their time on the loose hay in sun but out of the wind. When is got really cold they would cluster on wooden pallets and stand their most of the day with only two feeding bouts. First feeding bout was in the morning and second just before going to roost.

When snow was pushing two feet deep, the birds would literally fly between roost and that hay bale / pallet pile avoiding contact with snow. Leaving and returning to roost was also more during daylight that otherwise. Exception to this was first blizzard of season when many did not come off roost at all. Roost in that setting was work table on north facing porch of house.
:goodpost: excellent...!!!:thumbsup
great ideas...!!!:highfive::yesss:

Outdoors in winter is fine. As long as they are not exposed to crazy cold wind chills, and have a protected place to be. I enclose part of my run with plastic. Hubby build a trussed roof to cover part of it. Those lovely trusses are supported by an old metal swing set. The roof is covered with a green house tarp. I use DL in both coop and run. During all but the coldest and nastiest days (44.5 parallel) my girls are out and about digging through the DL. I sprout grains and seeds for the birds to make up for their lack of free range opportunities.

As for your coop, be sure it is well ventilated, even in the cold winter months. You need to remove excess moisture every day, and also monitor for ammonia.
:goodpost::clap:highfive: :celebratei love that old swing set idea you talk about , wonderful idea..!! :thumbsup i will now be on the look out for any old free swing sets...:woot:highfive: :wee:jumpy:thumbsup :D

Dianna, old swing sets also make fantastic garden trellises. And they can be extended from either end by adding a piece of metal electrical conduit, with (2) 2 x 4's drilled to allow the conduit to slip through the holes. The 2 x 4's are then spread to make the long sides of the letter A, with the ends buried in the ground a bit. If needed a bit of twine will secure the top of the A where 2 x 4's are slid onto the conduit. I've also made complete frames with conduit, and 2 x 4's at each end of the conduit.

Dianna, old swing sets also make fantastic garden trellises. And they can be extended from either end by adding a piece of metal electrical conduit, with (2) 2 x 4's drilled to allow the conduit to slip through the holes. The 2 x 4's are then spread to make the long sides of the letter A, with the ends buried in the ground a bit. If needed a bit of twine will secure the top of the A where 2 x 4's are slid onto the conduit. I've also made complete frames with conduit, and 2 x 4's at each end of the conduit.
:goodpost: wow that is so excellent...!! :thumbsup i love garden trellises.i made some from the wood in old bed box frames i found HA , but hey thanks for sharing your great ideas :highfive: & using the swing set and conduit thats a really good one ..!! :woot:wee

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom