Chickens keep escaping

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Marfa, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Marfa

Marfa New Egg

Sep 22, 2014
    I keep my chickens in an area at the bottom of my garden that is cut off from the rest of the garden by a 3 1/2ft fence. Recently two of my four chickens have flown over the fence and unfortunately one of my dogs killed one of them:( I managed to catch the other one and return her to the other two chickens, but she keeps flying over the fence, and even into my neighbours garden where she will roost at night if I can'f find her before dark. I'm worried the other two will follow suit and also start flying over the fence. I have re-clipped one wing on each chicken, any suggestions as to why they're trying to escape and how I could prevent it (other than making the fence higher which I'm in the process of doing)? Thanks[​IMG]

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    They probably don't look at it as escaping, just wandering around like chickens do.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Make the top edge of the new fence extension floppy/unstable, so when they try to land on it should deter them from trying.

Do they have enough space inside your fence?

4. Marfa

Marfa New Egg

Sep 22, 2014

Yep my girls have plenty of space and muck to scratch about in:)

5. anjovi6

anjovi6 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a new Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster in 6ft tall fence. I have only had him one week tomorrow and decided to name him Houdini. Today I hear something behind me while burning leaves and there he is behind me enjoying his new found freedom. I have a 2 and a half ft width of fence buried around the bottom of my fence and connected every 6 inches with j clips. So the only way he could have escaped was to have flown over the fence. He is a huge boy and I would have never thought he could have flown out. But he was just being a normal rooster because the grass was greener on the other side of the fence.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by