Chickens keep pooping on the deck and cement.

Does the rest of the yard have interesting perches, shady spots, sheltered areas, etc? Or are they choosing the deck because it's the most chicken-friendly part of the yard?

Try to think like a chicken -- a creature of the forest floor that is at risk of being eaten by nearly everything. Where would you go to find food and then to find a safe place to roost, dustbathe, and generally hang out?

Does the rest of the yard have interesting perches, shady spots, sheltered areas, etc? Or are they choosing the deck because it's the most chicken-friendly part of the yard?

Try to think like a chicken -- a creature of the forest floor that is at risk of being eaten by nearly everything. Where would you go to find food and then to find a safe place to roost, dustbathe, and generally hang out?
We have a large trampoline that they go under for shade, very high up branches for them to play on in their run and 2 or 3 dust bathing spots. I see your reasoning. I would also imagine that they like going on the deck because it's close to the house and the house is warm, even though they have a heated coop, but they don't go in there during the day except for the occasional bite of food and to lay eggs.

My chickens have recently started venturing onto our deck and sidewalk. They love to shelter under the deck (unfortunate hawk attack recently, RIP my little roo...) and my husband thought it would be fun to give them cracked corn piles on the deck as a treat so now they frequent the deck all day! chickens will do chicken things, including pooping wherever they choose :) Mine don't do too bad, they generally do it on the steps and sidewalk, luckily not so much on the deck itself. They are also fascinated by our single pane glass storm door that leads to the deck. As much as we like watching Chicken TV, I think they also enjoy Hooman TV :)

'all' animals sense whats important to you and like to mess with it .. way it is .. that said food is the most persuasive method you have to modify their behavior .. other things can work but you have to be careful you dont want to get labeled the bad guy by being aggressive .. for instance i noticed mine are terrified of my old straw broom 'Mr Broom' when i go to sweep the porch or garage out .. just hanging it out the door or window and holding it up (so they cant see me) and propping it up near the door of the garage usually keeps them well away ...

I feel ya. I got really tired of the girls pecking at the glass on our back door for attention as well as pooping constantly right in front of the door, I fenced it off, giving myself a 10 foot buffer area between the fenced area and the door. I was constantly hosing off the area next to the door because it was a huge mess. Mine never ran away, they were ecstatic that I came out and would stare happily up at me thinking all the pecking on the glass is what brought me out. I could read the “Yay! Mom! It worked!” On their little chicken faces.

I feel ya. I got really tired of the girls pecking at the glass on our back door for attention as well as pooping constantly right in front of the door, I fenced it off, giving myself a 10 foot buffer area between the fenced area and the door. I was constantly hosing off the area next to the door because it was a huge mess. Mine never ran away, they were ecstatic that I came out and would stare happily up at me thinking all the pecking on the glass is what brought me out. I could read the “Yay! Mom! It worked!” On their little chicken faces.
Yeah... mine poop right on the hot tub steps so when we go out there late at night we must always be thinking of their little "presents" I think they see it as a love note. They also love to peck at glass and have scared the crap out of several members of the family. :gig

Yeah... mine poop right on the hot tub steps so when we go out there late at night we must always be thinking of their little "presents" I think they see it as a love note. They also love to peck at glass and have scared the crap out of several members of the family. :gig
Mine would develop a rhythm, peck, peck, pause for chicken eyeball, peck, peck, pause for chicken eyeball. I sometimes would start drumming the counter or tapping my foot to it unconsciously 🤪.

Back
Top Bottom