Chickens keep roosting over feeder and waterer

SouthTxChickDad

In the Brooder
May 12, 2022
So I have a 4x4 dog kennel that I have converted into a chicken tractor for some pullets that I am raising. I placed two bars. One for roosting and one to hang my feeder and waterer. My problem is my pullets keep choosing to roost on the bar that has the waterer and feeder underneath it. So every morning when I go to move it I am also having to clean them out. Any suggestions on what I can do to keep them from roosting on that bar?

A photo could help with specific ideas but mainly put something in there to get in their way of roosting. You want it to be light weight since it is a tractor. As it is out-of-doors wind might blow whatever you put up there out of the way.

I don't know what your kennel looks like or how tall it is. Can you put the bar you are hanging them from outside the top of the kennel so they can't get to it? Or maybe so close to the top of the kennel there is no room for them above it?

I once cut a round disc out of wood and supported it in the middle. Basically had three strings going up close to the center and positioned them so the disc hung flat but if one flew up to stand on it the disc would flip and throw them off.

I built a pyramid and hung it from the point so the sides were too steep for them to stand on. A strong wind could push that out of position.

Back
Top Bottom