chickens kickin feed everywhere.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kakayona, Aug 9, 2010.

1. kakayona

kakayona Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Stratford
    they are kicking the feeder empty in two days. all over floor. they are yipping and yipping at me about it to. How do I stop this???[​IMG]

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Bad chickens.

Try raising the feeders so that they are the same height as the the chickens back. Add baffles to the feeder that about 2-3 inches wide to keep them from billing out the feed.

And.... dont give them more feed until they clean up their mess. [​IMG]

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I use hanging feeders, which are great, and also I raise the feeders to about head level for the chickens. (It depends on the setup in the coop.) This keeps them from getting their feet in there and throwing things around. I also switched to pellet food. They really rarely waste any of that.

4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I agree with patman.

Seriously, make them clean up their mess before giving them more. Don't give them more than they can eat in 1 day. Raise the hight of the feeder. If it is not hung then raise it on a brick or something.

Are you sure they are the ones knocking it out of the feeder? Varments will do the same.

5. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

When we moved the chicks to the run, my DH bought a 10# hanging feeder at TSC that has fins so they can't bill the food out as easy and it is just high enough for them to get their bill in...they can not get their foot up into the tray. It has stopped the waste. The week before we moved them outside it took a 50# bag for 22 chicks! My husband bought another bag the day we moved them into the run....they are just now using up the last of it...a whole month later!! They also get BOSS and all the weeds/grass I pull from my flower/veggie beds plus peas/beans fruit from our trees (that is about to end), about once a week frozen yogurt/overripe bananas, plus leftovers and stale bread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by