Chickens killed but not Eaten

Mello-Bee

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 17, 2012
I had 17 chickens early morning something attacked them. 8 dead, only 3 with wounds, the rest dead in a pile of feathers, I think there necks were broken, they were spread out over 7 acres. some on lawn some on in the woods, only 2 were serious wounds any idea on what could have done this the cool was left open last night,

that is dog. they catch one, once it is dead they get bored with it and go on to the next exciting one(aka still alive) catch it.. kill it.. repeat. That is why they are so destructive. And on top of it are the owners who just don't care(chickens? so what?) or can't be responsilble- keeps saying sorry but you keep seeing their dog out again... and again.....

if the yard looks like a pillow fight using feathered pillows, that is classic dog attack clue too. They shake the chickens about. think about it- dogs shake their toys, same predator behavior.

Be prepared, if you find the dog and owners, more than likely resolution will be very very very difficult, upsetting. It is no wonder so many just use SSS.

Weasels will also kill an entire coop full of birds, leaving them here and there, sometimes in piles, often uneaten. You'd have to reseach their kill method and likely feather distribution; I can't answer to that.

Fox.they kill all then take one by one.it was disturbed before it was finished i would say.i find they also bite off the wings so its easyer to carry back to the den . you can trap them with a cage trap but you need to change a few things and bury the floor and make it appear to be the coop entrance throw chook poo in it.that fox walked past your coop every night waiting for that chance.set up a camera and il guarantee you see a fox .

Back
Top Bottom