Chickens killed last night

I am thinking mine was a weasel, I had bite marks on the necks and 4 of the 10 were missing heads. I have been feeling guilty and beating myself up for the last two days and I am starting to realize that it will not do me any good to keep beating myself up.

As a result, we have now named our coop "All Cooped Up", complete with sign.
tongue.png

I'm sorry you lost your chickens. I know it's hard, but please don't beat yourself up about it. We've lost a lot of chickens due to various causes. We get cold fronts moving in suddenly here, so at this time of year if I forget to check the weather before bed, I accidentally leave baby chicks outside (warm when going to bed) and then wake up to find them dead since the cold front drops the temp by sometimes 30 degrees suddenly when the front hits. I lost 11 babies the other day and felt awful for my mistake. Then another time I learned the lesson of cutting slits into my tarp to let the rain come through when it's a downpour. Earlier the rain puddled on top of the tarp and pressed so hard on the PVC support that it busted and collapsed right onto the pile of chickens below. That time we lost about 8 chicks. Then a few nights ago we lost a turkey to a predator at night. We also recently lost 2 sheep to a coyote.
So just chalk it up to learning something new each time. It is the way most people learn, from personal experience, even though we always think we should be able to learn from other people's mistakes, it rarely seems to work out that way. Plus, it was really the racoon that did the killing, not you!

I would have to agree with the electric wire, I have seen post on here where coons, and such have gone through wire of all kinds. So sorry for you, it must be nasty to see such a thing.

I'm so sorry for your loss!
sad.png

That is my worst nightmare, so I always lock mine in the coop at night. We have racoons and coyotes in our area, and have heard the sad stories. Plus my dog has been going nuts in the middle of the night lately, she knows that something is outside prowling around . . .

When I built the pen, I cut all branches off the trees surrounding the shed and pen that I thought a coon might be able to drop from, and chicken wire is accross the top of the pen, "sewed" together with wire. It does droop a bit and collect leaves, but I think it's worth it to have them safer from above.

Your coop and run seem pretty secure for daytime, but raccoons and weasels normally hunt at night.
You MUST lock them in the coop at dusk, no if's, and's, or but's.
You say the reason you keep the door open is because you don't open it until 9-10am in the morning? That is OK!!!
I don't open mine until 9am and they are fine....and ALIVE!
Believe me, I learned the hard way. I wanted them to go out earlier so I left the coop door open all night. Weasel attack. Not pretty.

So sorry this happened. Now you know how to prevent this in the future.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom