Chickens killing birds?!

My chickens found and killed a house sparrow fledgling a month or so ago.
sad.png
I, too, chased the offending hen down, it was quite a task.

They cornered both of the birds in the barn, and I think they pack hunt. I just hope I don't have any problems with disease/parasites.

Are you sure? I don't think they will eat other birds. Maybe something else is killing it.

MAYBE THERE ARE HUNGRY!
Well I was gonna catch a small baby bird that I saw on the ground… It hadn’t got flight down as of yet bc I walked up to it but once it ran the chickens saw it & one of my leghorns grabbed that baby bird & slammed it on the ground & before I could catch up with her she slammed it again on the porch… 2 of my chickens pulled that baby apart and ate it it.. Looked like a sparrow but it was so tiny, it must have fallen out of the tree.
The sight of the way she killed that bird broke my heart.. I don’t feel the same way about my 3 month old chickens, I’ve been so protective of them but they are evil…
I’m so sad for the mama bird - she was sitting in the tree watching all this horror, too!
She kept flying down to the baby but couldn’t help it so I decided to put it in a cat carrier until it could get back in the tree, or fly better. I was too slow…

But YES, the chickens Will and DID eat a baby bird… :(

I couldn't be more sure, I watched them do it. They shook it like a terrier will with a rat, and I took the sparrow off them to see what it was. They did the keep away thing too, like with a worm, and shredded the hummingbird between them.

They have plenty of food! Free choice, plus a coop that's probably 150 sq ft.
Hi we had found an abandoned baby magpie, welcomed him/her into our family and hearts. A few days ago, we were devastated to find that our hen attacked and killed him. I am so sad about the situation and trying to find forgiveness (mostly of myself for not being there to protect our little Maggie). Yes it absolutely does happen. And our gorgeous hen has a very large backyard to move around as much as she pleases. She has chased off cockatoos and cats before, but never kids or friends etc. In the end, we have put it down to being territorial and a part of nature...(she’s lovely otherwise)

Last week I thought I was seeing things when my chickens hunted down a hummingbird, killed it and ate it. Today they got a sparrow. Is this normal?!
I've just been chasing a pigeon around the coop trying to stop the chickens killing it. I saved it. Feathers everywhere

My girls go after small birds and squirrels all the time. My roo actually grabbed a squirrel once, but didn't seem to know what to do once he got it, so he let it go.

I think it's totally normal behavior.

Back
Top Bottom