Chickens killing chickens??????????

rkh

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
I have 5 RIR layers, The other nite something killed and ate one of my hens. The only thing that was left was the legs and wings. It looked like something just took its time and set there and picked everything clean. I have never seen anything like this. Then 2 nites later it happened again. I could not see where anything dug under or any way that anything could have gotten in. I looked for tracks, or anything that would tell me but anything. The only thing is I have a gap over the door about 6 inches. Could an owl get thru this in the night. No other chickens are hurt, just one at a time. Does an owl sit there all nite and eat or does it carry it off. I thought that I read about chickens killing and eating chickens but I cant fine it again. I was told that If they ate cooked chicken table scraps that they would get the taste for meat and start killing. Help

Last edited:
Anything could climb up the fencing and get through a 6" gap. Raccoons, opossums, rats, snakes, and probably many other types as well. Please cover it immediately.

No idea which type of predator leaves those parts, though.

I'm sorry for your losses.

I doubt if it was the other chickens. They are diurnal so they wouldn't have been picking away away all night; they'd be sleeping.

I agree with Jaguaress, cover it up, but make sure it's 1/2 or 1/4 inch hardwire cloth. Just about anything can rip through chicken wire and 1 inch wire isn't small enough to keep things like weasles and rats out.

"I thought that I read about chickens killing and eating chickens but I cant fine it again. I was told that If they ate cooked chicken table scraps that they would get the taste for meat and start killing." Whoever said that doesn't know anything about chickens
roll.png
. Many people give their chickens chicken and don't have a problem. Cannibalism is usually caused by stress. Be it not enough protien in the diet, to small a space to run around, or other stresses.

I have closed up the opening over the door and put a motion camera in the house. If I find out what is getting in I will let you know. Thanks for the help.

The camera is a great idea, but since something has discovered where to find a chicken dinner, you might also consider a baby monitor so you can hear it come back in the night.

It's my favorite toy to treat my paranoia.

tip of wings and legs are what raptors normaly leave..... but there should be more signs, like pile of feathers, neatly picked bone, etc....

Closed up the holes and installed a camera. It was a racoon. I caught him on camera but not in the cage. The food was gone, the door was closed on the cage. I dont know how he did he but he is good. But not good enough to get in the chicken house. Dont know how to past pic or I would show you the coon.

I'm trying to find out what kind of critter is burrowing into my pens - what kind of camera did you use? I'm hoping to find something reasonably priced that can run on batteries? thanks for your input

Back
Top Bottom