Chickens laid early then stopped

Crazymomiof5

Hatching
Aug 13, 2022
Hi! I'm a first time owner of chickens. We have 5 Rhode Island Reds. They are now about 16 weeks old. Two weeks ago we found that they had laid 23 eggs. It is now been two weeks and no more eggs laid. Also, all 23 eggs were white. I was told that Rhode Island Reds lay varying colors of brown. I didn't know if this could be premature laying that caused the white eggs and the stopping of laying eggs? Also, it seems like some of the chickens are molting. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Most likely, it is because they were laying early. I would wait 2-4 weeks to when they should be laying, and they will probably lay again. Are the eggs small? Are you sure that your chickens are Rhode Island Reds? They may be some other breed, but the breeder or store may have labeled them wrong.

Chickens don't lay while molting, so that could be it. They're also very young and it's normal for egg laying to be on and off at first. Pictures of your chickens can help up identify them.
It also may be that only a few of the chickens that are molting now were the ones laying, and since chickens don't lay while they are molting, it is possible. Especially since all of your chickens are the same breed, it can be very hard to figure out which ones were laying the eggs.

It also may be that only a few of the chickens that are molting now were the ones laying, and since chickens don't lay while they are molting, it is possible. Especially since all of your chickens are the same breed, it can be very hard to figure out which ones were laying the eggs.
You can tell who's laying with a pelvic and vent check and by the look of the comb and waddles.:]

Back
Top Bottom