Chickens laying in nest box and secretly laying elsewhere

Nancy H

Chirping
7 Years
My five hens (w/one rooster) have been producing two eggs on average in their nest boxes, down from three in early November. I thought this was due to the short days. Today I discover twelve eggs secreted in the fenced yard, all laid since I last looked a month or so ago. I think two of the girls are involved.

Should I leave these and see if they start sitting on them? I have no problem with them hatching some out. But if they do, do the chicks need to be protected from rats or other chickens? Should I move the clutches inside the coop?

If you want to hatch your own eggs naturally, that's great!
However...
You'll need to prevent a staggered hatch. Let the chickens accumulate eggs, but when a hen begins to brood and regularly sit on them, mark each one. Remove new ones every day or you will have chicks born 5 days apart- or neglected chicks, or neglected eggs.
You can choose to either seperate the broody hen or leave her. Seperation has it advantages, but it can occasionally cause a hen to abandon her nest.
For her first time I suggest leaving her. The flock may disturb her, but she'll manage. You can also leave her exactly where she is and segregate her by means of wood or wire.
When my hen was within 10 days of her hatching date I blocked off the nesting area inside my coop with plywood. Then when the chicks hatched, they weren't killed. Because if a hen is sitting on a nest that isn't hers when the chicks hatch she might accidentally smother one or purposefully kill it. Other hens might peck at the chicks unintentionally killing or hurting them.
Also if your chicks are with the flock from day one and you provide a heat lamp they may be smothered by heat-greedy older birds.
Also if it's cold where you live, don't hatch eggs. If the eggs can freeze, the babies will too.
I hatched a batch in october, and right now it is -40°C. I kept a heat lamp on the young chicks to promote running around and growth, but now they are off it, and mingling with the older birds.
Once your babies are fully feathered move or remove a barrier, move momma and babies back with the flock. She will help protect and integrate them.

Also just because eggs have accumulated doesn't mean hens will brood or that the eggs are fertile.
What breed are your hens?
Remove bad smelling eggs once the hen is sitting, or cracked or twin yolk eggs.

Should I leave these and see if they start sitting on them?
Chances are if they aren't setting/brooding them now, they won't in the near future.
Remove all those eggs and probably toss them,
unless you want to risk opening them to eat.
Either collect eggs from that nest regularly or block it off and do some nest training.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

This happened to me at the end of summer an into fall. I have a fenced in yard as well an they would lay sercertly in three spots if not in the coop. Keep them in the coop longer in the morning and add a fake egg in the nest boxes or use some you found if they dont smell, try an watch them from afar to see where they go. These things helped me but some would still lay Else where. None of my hens are or were broody when doing this. If you have white eggs they can get stained from dirt an what not if they arent found shortly after being layed. I gave those to my dogs. But do an egg test on those eggs if you plan to keep them.

If you want to hatch your own eggs naturally, that's great!
However...
You'll need to prevent a staggered hatch. Let the chickens accumulate eggs, but when a hen begins to brood and regularly sit on them, mark each one. Remove new ones every day or you will have chicks born 5 days apart- or neglected chicks, or neglected eggs.
You can choose to either seperate the broody hen or leave her. Seperation has it advantages, but it can occasionally cause a hen to abandon her nest.
For her first time I suggest leaving her. The flock may disturb her, but she'll manage. You can also leave her exactly where she is and segregate her by means of wood or wire.
When my hen was within 10 days of her hatching date I blocked off the nesting area inside my coop with plywood. Then when the chicks hatched, they weren't killed. Because if a hen is sitting on a nest that isn't hers when the chicks hatch she might accidentally smother one or purposefully kill it. Other hens might peck at the chicks unintentionally killing or hurting them.
Also if your chicks are with the flock from day one and you provide a heat lamp they may be smothered by heat-greedy older birds.
Also if it's cold where you live, don't hatch eggs. If the eggs can freeze, the babies will too.
I hatched a batch in october, and right now it is -40°C. I kept a heat lamp on the young chicks to promote running around and growth, but now they are off it, and mingling with the older birds.
Once your babies are fully feathered move or remove a barrier, move momma and babies back with the flock. She will help protect and integrate them.
x2

The first time I had chickens years ago I let them free range all the time. One time I found a clutch of eggs with more than 30 in it. Middle of a cactus patch. They weren't broody. They just liked that area for some reason.

As far as viability goes, how cold had it been for you. While an egg remains viable for a long time kept in ideal conditions, much below 40F for an extended periods of time kills the egg.

Also just because eggs have accumulated doesn't mean hens will brood or that the eggs are fertile.
What breed are your hens?
Remove bad smelling eggs once the hen is sitting, or cracked or twin yolk eggs.

Thank you so much, Welshies, for all this information. So far neither of the girls in question is brooding. I'll mark the current eggs and see what happens from here out. Both the hens are Easter Eggers (one may be fully Americauna). The eggs don't smell bad as of yet. We did remove one cracked one.

It's not cold here in northern San Diego County. Apart from having NO RAIN since May, the weather has been nice.

This happened to me at the end of summer an into fall. I have a fenced in yard as well an they would lay sercertly in three spots if not in the coop. Keep them in the coop longer in the morning and add a fake egg in the nest boxes or use some you found if they dont smell, try an watch them from afar to see where they go. These things helped me but some would still lay Else where. None of my hens are or were broody when doing this. If you have white eggs they can get stained from dirt an what not if they arent found shortly after being layed. I gave those to my dogs. But do an egg test on those eggs if you plan to keep them.

Thank you very much. So far they smell fine. I'm watching them closely to see if they get broody. This was a surprise because I've had them since March and until now they always laid in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom