Chickens laying less in the winter.

Pics
Mine have just started laying after the fall molt. I got the biggest egg I’ve ever seen yesterday, see photo. These are Bielefelder hens now 13 months old now, hatched here last winter. I wear XL gloves and my wedding ring is size 11 1/2. Thing is huge!

Attachments

• A9F6B9F7-5790-4DC9-9F37-EFD1B3E6AB33.jpeg
    A9F6B9F7-5790-4DC9-9F37-EFD1B3E6AB33.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 10
My girls are still laying a few eggs every day in spite of the short days of light. An `old timer` chicken farmer told me the best way to keep them laying is to feed them fresh spinach every day. We tried it and it works !!!! Simple.
No no no.... you should NOT feed your chickens spinach everyday - it contains oxalic acid, which can cause health issues. Spinach is best fed in serious moderation and not everyday. I’m also skeptical to believe that this causes more egg production - I would say this is more a coincidence and case of confirmation bias.

I would suggest to save every egg shells. Dry them overnight or bake them and then grind the shell up to give back to the hens. Free calcium and save money to buy oyster shells.
That’s a great idea, as long as you put the shells on the side and don’t mix them directly into the food. However; oyster shells will just contribute to strong, healthy eggshells. It does not cause the chicken to lay.

Good to know! We have an EE that we got as a laying hen and she hasn’t laid a single egg since October. Our BO and red sex link pullets started laying then, and my BO is laying daily. Hoping to get my EE back into the game.

No no no.... you should NOT feed your chickens spinach everyday - it contains oxalic acid, which can cause health issues. Spinach is best fed in serious moderation and not everyday. I’m also skeptical to believe that this causes more egg production - I would say this is more a coincidence and case of confirmation bias.
What kind of health issues? ..My chickens nibble on my Silverbeet plants and baby spinach through the fence daily, they love eating it! So is this a food they should not be allowed to have?

Back
Top Bottom