Chickens laying less in the winter.

Pics
Give it time, my gals started between 23 and 28 weeks the first egg was so exciting!
Yeah & Im sure that winter has something to do with it as well .....they will get to it , I enjoy letting them out every afternoon and walking around with them , didn’t get them just for eggs 🤫
Of course I *thought* I got 11 pullets and now one gal is crowing 🤣😂🤣

Certain breeds are great winter layers. I have Buckeyes, Australorps, Jersey Giants and Ameraucanas. I get 5-9 eggs a day from 11 hens, all considered cold weather breeds. No special diet, a heat lamp in their coop although they free range all day. A few eggs would be perfect to me: without a farmer's market open, eggs are accumulating fast and not all food banks will take eggs. What breeds do you have?
[/QUOTE]
I have Barred Rocks, Leghorns, what TSC called 'Browns' last year. I like colors, so have a variety that are Good in cold weather and at foraging. 20 ac, not much in predators over the years. Live and let live type of person..

Last edited:
Yeah & Im sure that winter has something to do with it as well .....they will get to it , I enjoy letting them out every afternoon and walking around with them , didn’t get them just for eggs 🤫
Of course I *thought* I got 11 pullets and now one gal is crowing 🤣😂🤣
So I locked my rooster out of the coop tonight ........he’s been downright MEAN to the girls ......
Figured he’d repent .
I looked up about 2 hours later and he was peering in the kitchen window ,standing in the back of a patio chair .,.,,, needless to say I let him in the coop . Think he’s headed for the Matza ball soup pot soon .....

So I locked my rooster out of the coop tonight ........he’s been downright MEAN to the girls ......
Figured he’d repent .
I looked up about 2 hours later and he was peering in the kitchen window ,standing in the back of a patio chair .,.,,, needless to say I let him in the coop . Think he’s headed for the Matza ball soup pot soon .....
Go Get him! Sounds like the Perfect age for soup.... YUM!

Back
Top Bottom