chickens laying outside nest boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missstylishjet, Oct 10, 2013.

1. missstylishjet

missstylishjet New Egg

Jan 23, 2013
    I have 9 hens & 1 rooster. My question, I have 1 hen that refuses to lay her egg in a nest box, she lays it in a corner. How can I get her to lay in a nest box? I have 4 nest boxes. I also have 1 hen that thinks she is setting on eggs,but she is mot because I lift her up & check to see if she has an egg everday, if she has one I take it. All my nest boxes have a fake egg except the one that the broody hen has taken op residency in

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    Try placing something in the spot where the one hen is laying her eggs, or make a nesting box for her in that spot. At least you won't have to hunt for eggs. As for the one who just sits in a nesting box, sounds to me like she is trying to be broody.

3. SSAcres

SSAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

We have hens and pullets that just started laying a couple months ago. Not all lay in their boxes but in designated spots on the coop floor. As long as I keep finding them and they're not broken I'm happy.

4. ANelson726

ANelson726 Out Of The Brooder

When my girls first started laying, no one used the box. I even tried putting a fake decoy egg in the box, but my Black Australorp would just take the egg out and sit on it while she laid her egg. But then one day I cleaned out the coop and put a thinner layer of shavings down than I usually do and they suddenly started using their boxes. I guess they thought the thick bedding was comfier than their boxes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by