Chickens learned a trick...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lane, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Lane

Lane Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    New Orleans
    Or maybe they taught me one.

Let them out to free range and had to leave shortly after. I have never left them out unattended because of the numerous cats in the neighborhood. Herding them had been pretty much unsuccessful in previous attempts, kinda like herding cats. How to get them back in?

I always gave them their treats on a white paper plate, so I put some cantaloupe seeds and scrapings on a paper plate and showed the plate to them. They came running, so I led them to the run with the plate of treats, placed the it inside, and they followed.

Maybe they aren't as dumb as I thought?

Lane

2. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

personally i think all chickens are dumb LOL until i can see them do that for me LOL HAHA .

>>>> My chickens are weird LOL

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Great idea to get them back in! It pays to do little things like that, doesn't it!

We've got numerous cats and our chickens always free range during the day. We let them out around 7am, and close the doors after dark. We've never lost a chicken to our cats. The cats tried stalking and jumping on the chickens, but the chickens chased them off. Now the cats don't even bother the chicks out with their mamas, because mama hens are scary!

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I've got two that will jump up & take treats from my fingers -- much like a dog. When I show folks they think it's cute ;0)

5. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    that's how I get mine in at night- I go out with a small cup of cracked corn and call "here chick chick chick" and they all come RUNNING. Didn't take long for them to figure it out! [​IMG]

6. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    ha! mine can't be fooled.. darn things. they did it once when I wanted them to go in but then the next day they just knew and refused to go in. grrrr!!! I hope you continue to have success!

7. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I must be lucky. Mine herd like cattle. I focus on the pecking order queen. I herd her, and the others follow.

8. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I ONLY feed treats inside the coop or run. That way, most of the time when they see me coming, they come a'running. But not always. That's when I have to employ the services of the broom of (perceived) death.

9. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Mine respond to the clanking of a metal trashcan. They may be out and when they hear me take the lid off the trashcan they come running.............in the can, they get sunflower seeds and those are their favorites.

10. Chotii

Chotii Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a bamboo garden-stake of doom, which I use to herd the girls. They've been getting better lately: when they see the stick in my hand, they head for the coop, because just like in The Story of Ping, I am not above giving the slowest poke a light whop on the tailfeathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by