1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Newbie chick 30, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Newbie chick 30

Newbie chick 30 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Pre stroy: I have about 30 chickens all various ages and breeds. They free range daily. They are also in the same field as a couple of goats and sheep.

I have been noticing some of my young chickens begin limping and then eventually die. I thought at 1st it was due to the roosters being aggressive or possibly being stepped on by a bigger animal and that the stress or being picked is just too much and causing them to give up. I have tried separating them in a cage but that actually seems to make it worse. Is there an illness that causes limping? I have looked over the legs and have not noticed and types of breaks, lacerations or any visual afflictions.

Next, One of my adult hens recently started limping and had been for a couple of weeks but once again nothing. I left her with the flock because she was still eating and getting around ok. Last night I went out to the coup and I noticed her foot is swollen and causing her pain (she freaked out when I tried to look at it...although she is one of my wild ones anyways). The amount I was able to look at it but didn't see anything...it actually looked nice and clean (except for the swelling that is).

THANKS for all your help!!!

k

2. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I will wait to see what you get for responses. I put a post up last week about a limping hen. Same as you; no obvious breaks, wounds or other injury. I separated mine for about 4 days in the chicken hospital. She seemed better. Let her out and the next day she was back to limping again. She has been out for a few days. This morning, she didn't want to jump off the roost, so obviously, she new it was going to hurt. Not really sure what to do with her.

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I have a pullet that's got the same issue- an easter egger. You can't see her limp when she walks - just when she runs. She was recently introduced to our other flock of pullets (about a month older and laying eggs) and there's a large NHR rooster in that batch. I thought it may have been the rooster. No obvious signs of anything like yours.

I'm interested in hearing more responses as well.

4. Newbie chick 30

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    What is worrying me the most is that they die and as soon as I lose one I notice another doing the same thing (with the exception of my grown hen hers is something entirely different but started out seemingly the same). It seems the less they use (like when I separate them) the worse it gets. Don't know...sucks you guys are having the same issues.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wonder if it Marek's, although there is more than one disease that could cause limping:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=553693

Scroll down below the respiratory stuff.

If you haven't, you should check for bumblefoot, a dark area on the base of the foot. It is a staph infection. Lots of threads here about it.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It does sound like Marek's. I found out that way. I lost one a week. The first 3 were treated for broken legs before I realized that it was not broken legs.

I'm sorry. I'm going thru it myself. [​IMG]

7. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Quote:I think that's the wrong link.....

8. Newbie chick 30

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    I looked up Marek's symptoms but I don't think that is it. They aren't showing any other symptoms. No leisions or any of the other symptoms. I also don't notice any swelling in the chickens legs or feet. It just starts with limping that progressively gets worse and then they die...eating and drinking until the end. Having the stay off their feet only makes it worse.

The other chicken def has bumble foot...not too sure about performing surgery?!?!?

9. mommahen64

mommahen64 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    I have a d'ucccle roo doing the same thing. Sweet little thing. Last week it was his left leg - thought he twisted it. Took him to the vet and he didn't see anything crazy - put him on anti inflammatories and it seemed to help. Now it's his right side. It almost seems like his feet aren't working anymore. So worried. I'll be following this post.

10. marialane

marialane Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    My hen Sadie demonstrated the same symptoms. She died yesterday. I had concluded that it was Bumblefoot. But after reading your posts, I'm wondering if I am wrong. Nonetheless, it is sad. She was my favorite hen. Sweet personality. A couple days ago she started to limp. I isolated her and soaked her feet in Epsom Salts. After two days she was eager to get back to the flock and free range. We saw no problems. Then this. Being a novice chicken owner sure has its downfalls:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by