Chickens losing feathers: Molting or Parasites?

FrancisFordCoopola

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2021
Hi everyone! It is our first time raising chickens and we’re stumped on some recent developments. Both our Rhode Island Red and our Australorp have lost the feathers on the backs of their necks leaving just the cuticles. We considered that they may be molting since they are about 10 months old, but we’re in Northern New York and well into winter up here. Shouldn’t they have started this process in the fall? Would parasites/lice cause such localized feather loss? I’m including a picture for your reference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 1B77AC94-37C5-43AD-9B20-B473342CC1A9.jpeg
    1B77AC94-37C5-43AD-9B20-B473342CC1A9.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 29
Hi everyone! It is our first time raising chickens and we’re stumped on some recent developments. Both our Rhode Island Red and our Australorp have lost the feathers on the backs of their necks leaving just the cuticles. We considered that they may be molting since they are about 10 months old, but we’re in Northern New York and well into winter up here. Shouldn’t they have started this process in the fall? Would parasites/lice cause such localized feather loss? I’m including a picture for your reference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
This looks like my favorite Jersey Giant. I was asking the same thing of a friend of mine who raises chickens. I have 2 that are molting and they both are 10 months old. I am from Northern Kentucky and we normally have mild winters here until late January. We have had a couple of really cold weeks here and these poor babies are losing their feathers. I thought they were supposed to be around 18 months old before they started molting. I was sure there was something wrong. I thought they had mites or worms or something.
I am sorry you are going through this, but I am so relieved to know that they don't have something wtong.

Thank you for asking the right question.

How are your birds doing now? I agree it looks like molting.The birds will molt several time during their first year then usually once a year after that.

How are your birds doing now? I agree it looks like molting.The birds will molt several time during their first year then usually once a year after that.
I bird are doing great. I was just shocked that were molting so young.
They look better than ever. and one of my Leghorns cockscomb was horrible it looked as if it was going to shrivel up and drop off. Once she got through the molt, her cockscomb filled out again and actually got bigger. That was new experience for me.
Thanks for asking.
20201227_113806_001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom