Chickens losing feathers

Boo1562001

Hatching
Oct 26, 2015
Hi the past few days my chicken has been losing feathers. She lives with other chickens and they do not have this problem. I put her in a separate cage and she was still losing feathers. She has been checked for mites. Does anyone have any suggestions what it could be?

How old is she? It sounds like she may be molting. This is a perfectly normal occurence in chickens and usually occurs for the first time around one year old. Chickens then molt about once a year from then on. They will gradually lose feathers all over their body and then grow them in. A molt usually takes between 6 weeks and 3 months.

Hi the past few days my chicken has been losing feathers. She lives with other chickens and they do not have this problem. I put her in a separate cage and she was still losing feathers. She has been checked for mites. Does anyone have any suggestions what it could be?
If she is over a year old, she is more than likely molting---this is a natural occurrence, and no reason for concern. She may also be having a drop in egg production, due to the molt.

She is almost 2 years old and she hasnt layed eggs as often so hopefully she's molting. will she need any extra care whilst molting?

A high protein diet, like flock raiser, will help. It takes a lot for chickens to lose feathers and regrow them and layer feed doesn't provide a high protein percentage. If you're unable to get flock raiser feed, tuna is a good protein treat as well as very scrambled eggs.

Back
Top Bottom