Chickens missing a lot feathers.

GooseyMcGee

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 21, 2011
San Diego
All of our chickens are missing feathers. Some are missing more than others. Especially on their mid to lower backs. One in particular is missing a lot of fluff feathers. She is looking pretty bad. We checked for mites and didn't see any visible signs of mites. We haven't really observed them picking at each other. Does this seem like a parasitic problem or could it be something else?

I have three buff orphington hens, no rooster, who I bought from someone who DID have a rooster. They came to me pretty rough on the lower back, but over a months time started looking loads better. Now, suddenly, their feathers are coming out again and I can see all the way down to their bare backs! Poor girls. Any suggestions for that as well?

If you are sure they don't have lice or mites then they are most likely moulting. If you recently got them, its probably them adjusting. Switch them to a higher protein food like Growers Pellets (make sue they have a pot of oystershells/grit for calcium) and give them scrambled egg and put ACV in the water and they will get their feathers back in no time!

If you are sure they don't have lice or mites then they are most likely moulting. If you recently got them, its probably them adjusting. Switch them to a higher protein food like Growers Pellets (make sue they have a pot of oystershells/grit for calcium) and give them scrambled egg and put ACV in the water and they will get their feathers back in no time!
Okay, we might be on the right track. I have been buying bran which is high in protein to add to there food. Should that work?

Back
Top Bottom