Chickens molting?

Im in Derry NH and my girl is molting too. First thought the new teenage boys were at her, which they are, but shes lost soooo much, tail included, i know its a molt. He stepsister finished her molt a month ago. Boy they look so sad and unhealthy when molting, i was surprised. But the sister looks fabulous now and seems to feel good. I would just keep them protected from the cold-----29 tonight!!!!!!

Im in Derry NH and my girl is molting too. First thought the new teenage boys were at her, which they are, but shes lost soooo much, tail included, i know its a molt. He stepsister finished her molt a month ago. Boy they look so sad and unhealthy when molting, i was surprised. But the sister looks fabulous now and seems to feel good. I would just keep them protected from the cold-----29 tonight!!!!!!
She will be ok at 29. I had a hen molt in January, and it was in the teens below zero. She survived it just fine.

I'm in southern New Hampshire. Is it late for my chickens to be molting?
My first hen of 3 started to molt a week ago.
20201122_140827_resized.jpg

She's on the left.
20201128_095805_resized.jpg

This photo was taken yesterday.
Last winter she was last to molt. She started the last week of January.
I do add lights at 5 am year round. No additional lights 15 minutes past sunset, which is currently 4:22 here. GC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom