chickens not acting right

4man

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 23, 2013
I have 8 hens and 1 rooster all under the age if 3 that free range. No problems til 6 months ago when they stopped laying 4 eggs a day to very rarely. Feathers every where so thought molting. This has now went on for 6 months. I feed them pellets when in coupe and treats like pasta, bread, wild bird seed and fruit but stopped treats and free range to see what would happen. Nothing but 1 hen having crop block so I tipped upside down to get her to puck. She is better but comb now laying down and purple. Rooster now not crowing. Dewormed last week and now I noticed very little poop in the croupe like usual. Help

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Happy you joined us!
smile.png

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Chickens can stop laying for a number of reasons, including molting from which they can take quite awhile to recover. Have a look here for other
causes: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-behaviours-and-egg-laying-why-are-my-hens-not-laying The one with the impacted crop and the purple comb worries me a bit though. I'd suggest starting a thread in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum section and give as much details as possible, her age, what you're feeding them, any treatments administered, anything you can think off that can help us help you. Good luck!

well I lost my hen who had the purple comb. very sad night in this household. I vacuumed the coupe, sprayed and used dust for mites and lice. I then sprayed, dusted and put oil and vaseline on their feet. I also dewormed them. 2 had lice and those same 2 had mites on their feet. the rest looked good and I got 2 eggs today. but my rooster is still not right. He is 1; his comb is pink and he hasnt crowed in 2 weeks. he is eating but fights the hens for food and doesnt try to mate with them at all. i hope the 3 hours I did cleaning and dusting them makes him perk up...

Back
Top Bottom