Chickens not doing a good job of clearing area

Ladyxxmacbeth

Hatching
Nov 11, 2020
Hello. I'm new to chicken owning. I got them to scratch up the ground in a large area I have at the bottom of the garden. How long do you lovely people think this might take?. They are doing a pretty bad job of it at the moment. I was told (maybe erroneously) that chickens would destroy my garden. Well they aren't. There's lots of couch grass I want them to eat and small weeds I would like them to scratch up. I'm worried come spring that the weeds will become overgrown and I'll have to clear them another way.

Hello. I'm new to chicken owning. I got them to scratch up the ground in a large area I have at the bottom of the garden. How long do you lovely people think this might take?. They are doing a pretty bad job of it at the moment. I was told (maybe erroneously) that chickens would destroy my garden. Well they aren't. There's lots of couch grass I want them to eat and small weeds I would like them to scratch up. I'm worried come spring that the weeds will become overgrown and I'll have to clear them another way.
Depends how long you have had them, once they find an area they like they do t leave it alone, mine make straight for the same patch under a large conifer when I let them out, have given up trying to re grass it now, also, they turn my compost area over a treat where I dump grass cuttings and leaves and also the veg plot gets turned over at the end of the season, best helpers I ever had in the garden, apart from when I try to plant flowers 😤🤣

Attachments

• 20201109_231642.jpg
    20201109_231642.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 8
I got them to scratch up the ground in a large area I have at the bottom of the garden.
Vegetable garden or general 'yard' area?
Pics might help here.
Some plants are too deeply rooted for chicken to kill, and some plants are palatable for chickens to eat. Thinks couch grass is one that will no succumb to chickens.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @Ladyxxmacbeth
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1605132770106.png

Back
Top Bottom