Chickens not eating the same way, should I switch?

leasmom

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
Okay, my chickens used to love my own scratch mix which was bird seed, flax seed and oats. Now they are only eating the birdseed. Is it because its getting colder? What should I feed them?

It's because they are spoiled rotten and picky as all get out! I suspect if youwait a while they'll eat the other stuff too, but will pick out the favorite stuff every time. If I put scraps in the coop and wait, they'll pick through and leave most things, If I put the whole bowl of scraps they'll eventually eat a lot more stuff; they even ate okra the other day but it took awhile for them to get around to it.

Is that a nutritionally balanced mixture?

Sounds nutritious to me. I put out more feed and they tore that up but I gave them some kale leaves and they were fighting over that. They are very spoiled...I try to give them a variety but they just seemed to ignore it all and just eat the bird seed and so being a new chicken owner, I figured I wasn't learning the clues they were giving me.

Mine will eat whatever is out for them during the day when I am gone, but when Im around and they know meal worms are available from me, they hold out. Chickie will even come searching for me to bring them meal worms, even after foraging. I KNOW I have spoiled them.

Back
Top Bottom