Chickens not going into coop....only since cold snap?

Nov 7, 2020
Chicago
We have a flock of 4 hens, all about 21 weeks old. They picked up going into the coop to roost at night within a couple of days of being moved outside this Fall. They did so daily without a single issue, until our recent cold and snowy weather. Almost every night for the past few weeks we find one or more of them out of the coop after the auto door has closed. Usually just one of them but sometimes two or even all of them!

This has never been an issue, and we are confident in the coop conditions being favorable (dry, draft free, well-ventilated). The run is covered and snow-free. We have a roost over run style coop with enclosed run and have the sides wrapped in plastic to cut the wind and snow. We usually find them hunkered in the small, enclosed area under the roost. I'm assuming they are just hunkering down too long and missing their chance; we check on them soon after closing time to scoot them in.

Is this just as we thought: getting too cozy and failing to move inside? Or is there something else possibly going on?

I can think of 2 reasons they wouldn't go in the coop at night. Bully hens keeping them out. Or something scared them in the coop like a rat or snake. I bet it's bully hens.

I can think of 2 reasons they wouldn't go in the coop at night. Bully hens keeping them out. Or something scared them in the coop like a rat or snake. I bet it's bully hens.
Today all 4 were out after the door closed though, and there isn't a single one who hasn't missed the door at least once on their own or with another friend.

Coop got a quick clean out today and no sign of any other critters, but we will check again for sure.

I wonder if they're waiting for it to get the right amount dark?

I know that to me (a human, not a chicken) it seems darker when there is no snow on the ground, and lighter when there is snow. I think it has to do with snow being white, and maybe snow reflecting what light there is.

I have no idea whether chickens would be affected by this, but I'm mentioning it because you're not seeing any other obvious causes. I would expect them to realize that they need to go in earlier, if they haven't yet figured it out, then maybe not :idunno

I know that to me (a human, not a chicken) it seems darker when there is no snow on the ground, and lighter when there is snow. I think it has to do with snow being white, and maybe snow reflecting what light there is.

I have no idea whether chickens would be affected by this, but I'm mentioning it because you're not seeing any other obvious causes. I would expect them to realize that they need to go in earlier, if they haven't yet figured it out, then maybe not :idunno
That's a really interesting idea! Seems plausible for sure. I will try setting the timer a bit later and see what happens.

That's a good thought. @KilbournFarmhouse can you set your timer for 20 or 30 minutes later?

Back
Top Bottom