Chickens not going into coop....only since cold snap?

I'll try setting it later then. The settings haven't been an issue until now so I didn't think of it!

Our windchill temp is currently -17 so I'll save sticking around to observe them for when this weather breaks.

My flock goes in about 45 min after the “stated” sunset time. Some trickle in earlier but the last one seems around 45 min... because even though the weather app says what time sunset is it’s usually still pretty bright for sometime after.

It is on a timer but just updated the closing time recently. Today, sunset here was around 5:20. Timer is set for 5:45. Should it be later?
Yes, I keep mine at about an 45 minutes to an hour after sunset and move it a few minutes every couple of weeks because days are getting longer. Light is the biggest thing that will keep them from missing the door closing. If you have light of any kind outside some or all can miss it. If you do not have light on inside the coop same thing. If you have both light on outside and no light inside then most certainly they will miss it. That has been my experience.

My flock goes in about 45 min after the “stated” sunset time. Some trickle in earlier but the last one seems around 45 min... because even though the weather app says what time sunset is it’s usually still pretty bright for sometime after.
Thanks! What I'd had before worked because days were getting shorter so now I guess I need a wider spread as days get longer.

Turns out it was the beginning of a malfunction with the control on our automatic door. We ended up having to open/close it manually for a bit and then replaced some parts (power pack) and everything has been seamless since. We did adjust the time recently which has to happen every so often, and got a Wyze camera we installed in the run to monitor more closely.

Turns out it was the beginning of a malfunction with the control on our automatic door. We ended up having to open/close it manually for a bit and then replaced some parts (power pack) and everything has been seamless since. We did adjust the time recently which has to happen every so often, and got a Wyze camera we installed in the run to monitor more closely.
Was it closing too early? Mine is set to sense light dawn/dusk and I am having the same problems you did.

Ours was not set on a light sensor, but yes. The power wasn't operating consistently, which was caused issues with the clock and thus the opening and closing time. Eventually it stopped working all together. It was a connection from the battery pack to the opener that was the issue and we were able to replace the entire pack and connecting wires to solve the problem.

Back
Top Bottom