Chickens not going to roost!

CowgirlHC

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 12, 2012
West Virginia
Hi everyone! OK so we had one roost for our chickens and decided it needed to be more spacious for a couple reasons. 1, we have a few more chickens now than we had. 2, they're mostly pretty "fluffy" breeds (Australorps, Orpingtons, etc) and 3, some just don't want to be next to each other! Only a handful would use the roost and the others would crawl under the boxes and some would roost ON the boxes, leading to a MESS for me to clean up each and every day. I don't mind cleaning them of course, but it's like SUPER bad. So my wonderful husband built a really nice new roost for them with 3 different options of a perch and it's hinged so when we clean we lift it right up and hook it up to the rafters and it's completely out of the way. I go over tonight to check on them, turn on the heat lamps and shut the door, and not ONE of the little brats are on the roost! Heck one was laying outside in the cold on the ground. The others were either on the box tops, on the edges where their aim is perfect for me to clean up, or under the boxes. I put a few on the roost to show them how nice it was and that's where they should want to be (I know, it was a long shot) but only one or two gave it a fair chance, the others hopped off and wanted no part of it. How can I get them to use the roost and not the boxes? Heck I'd be happy if they'd go anywhere BUT the boxes. They are making them so nasty just in the course of one day that no wonder we're having laying problems :-( Any advice is greatly appreciated.

How should I block off the boxes? I've never had this issue before with any of my past chickens and ampretty clueless as to why they don't want to go where mother nature tells them lol

Well a simply was is just take a big board, and either lean it, or nail it (if you don't mind a few holes) in front of the boxes. You could also set backwards milk cartons in the boxes, then edit the boxes a little (add a thin board on top and slant the rest) so the chickens cant / dont want to roost on them.

Oh Ok, simple enough! Wasn't sure if there was some kind of chicken smart trick or not lol! So every evening after we collect the eggs and feed them should we block them off then? They still peck around for an hour or 2 afterwards, but then we shut the door of a night because unwanted critters in my area :-(

Back
Top Bottom