Chickens not hungry

Hyper_Chicken05

Songster
Nov 29, 2017
New Zealand
Hi, For some reason my chickens aren’t really hungry that much. They have access to feed 24/7 but they eat far less than another flock I know. My feeder barely goes down in a day and they only get a couple of treats a day. Lots of the time they go straight to bed after free ranging without eating any food. Is this normal? Or do my chickens have a sickness or something?

Watching. Mine have virtually stopped eating in the past week as well. We had a drop in temperatures (central FL) went from nights in the mid 70's to the low 60's and I'm thinking that's the issue so I'll wait to see what others think.

When my chickens free range they eat much less. They eat a lot in the winter, when they don't have access to greens and bugs. Just watch to make sure they are healthy.

Hi, For some reason my chickens aren’t really hungry that much. They have access to feed 24/7 but they eat far less than another flock I know. My feeder barely goes down in a day and they only get a couple of treats a day. Lots of the time they go straight to bed after free ranging without eating any food. Is this normal? Or do my chickens have a sickness or something?
Check their crops after dark, they should be pretty full.
They may be getting plenty to eat out in their range area.
Make sure the feed is not moldy or old.

In comparing to another flock you must compare the number of birds, the forage area contents, and the feed nutrient levels(protein percentage).

Mine free range and eat far less than secured chickens. There is also less daylight this time of year, the temps are usually cooler and they might have slacked off on their egg production somewhat. Also, have they molted yet? Mine tend to eat less when starting to molt, I do offer more protein during molting to increase feather production. They go through molt faster when I do this.

Chickens appetites are usually less when they aren't laying as many eggs, egg making makes them most hungry are they molting or laying less? Do they seem hungry but aren't eating the feed?

I think it is fairly normal. The chickens here free range. Some days they eat more of the commercially produced food than others.
Given its spring where you are there is probably lots of stuff sprouting and crawling. When the flying ants come out here the chickens don’t bother with the food I offer at all....and it’s a nightmare to get them to go to bed.
Check their crops when they go to roost. If the crops are full they’re probably getting enough to eat. You could also weight them for a few days. This will give you a better idea if they are losing weight.

Increased protein levels do result in less feed consumption I believe. I was feeding mine 18% then switched to a new feed 16% and their food intake increased. What are yours eating? The ability to free-range will reduce the amount of feed consumption too.

Back
Top Bottom