Chickens not laying eggs in nesting boxes :-(

Fake eggs..
Well the wife doesn't know it, but I used some fake egss she bought as decorations for a jar. I think she bought them at a home goods store. You might even find them in variety type stores or 'dollar stores'..
Good Luck

For fake eggs get some plastic Easter Eggs if you can't find any plastic eggs locally (my local Goodwill seems to always have a few) or don't want to order them online get some golf balls... Some stores might have plaster, stone, wood or plastic eggs for decoration... Don't use a hard boiled egg...

But, beware the full time fake eggs in the nesting box can also cause birds to go broody... This is the problem I'm having right now, my pullets from my late fall hatch last year just started to lay, and they are/were laying all over the place, so I put fake eggs in the existing nesting boxes to encourage them to lay there... Now I have 8 broody hens that have taken up residence in the nesting boxes and had to put 6 more nesting boxes in the coop for the other birds to use...

Last edited:
I am happy to say that we rearanged the coop and changed the height of the boxes and our layer went right in and made herself at home.

I've found fake wood eggs in Michaels (the craft store) where their wood crafts are.

I've got 5 --3 year old hens who lay in the nesting boxes. I've got 5 new chickens (got them as chicks in April) and at least 2 of them are laying eggs. One or more is laying in the nesting boxes with the big girls. However, for the past week, I'm finding an egg in the middle of the coop, same color/size so I've got one who has decided that the middle of the coop, under the roosting area is the spot to lay an egg. This one must lay first thing in the morning as it's always there when I go out and check.

I'll try to create a nesting box out of a plastic tub and get her to lay in there, then move it closer to the nesting boxes and hope that works.

I'm getting tired of wasting these eggs as they're usually covered in poop.

If I would catch her in the act, would trying to move her into a nesting box traumatize her for life? I imagine she'd run away before I could climb into the coop.

Janelle

No reason to waste the eggs, they are covered in an antibacterial/preservative bloom when laid, a little poop won't hurt... Just wash them off under warm water, and refrigerate or use the same day since you will also remove the bloom when cleaning...

My five girls started laying where ever. My mistake I believe is I should have taking the nest boxes out of the coop and put them back in when they were ready. I put two tubs down where I found eggs and one has used it. One or 2 drop in the poop board. They are such pretty girls, I just wish they'd get their nesting in order.

Did you move her when she was about to lay? How did it go

I've found fake wood eggs in Michaels (the craft store) where their wood crafts are.

I've got 5 --3 year old hens who lay in the nesting boxes.  I've got 5 new chickens (got them as chicks in April) and at least 2 of them are laying eggs.  One or more is laying in the nesting boxes with the big girls.  However, for the past week, I'm finding an egg in the middle of the coop, same color/size so I've got one who has decided that the middle of the coop, under the roosting area is the spot to lay an egg.  This one must lay first thing in the morning as it's always there when I go out and check.

I'll try to create a nesting box out of a plastic tub and get her to lay in there, then move it closer to the nesting boxes and hope that works.

If I would catch her in the act, would trying to move her into a nesting box traumatize her for life?  I imagine she'd run away before I could climb into the coop.

Janelle

Jessbe,
I've not caught her in the act yet to try that. She's still laying her egg in the same spot. I tried making a nest for her but she avoided it so I couldn't just keep moving her closer.

Back
Top Bottom