Chickens not laying eggs

sassy8_11

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 16, 2007
My 3 hens have not layed any eggs in 2 weeks. They were laying everyday since the 1st day we got them. About a month ago we got a pin built for them. Big enough for the turkey, and 4 chicks. My chickens used to run around free until we had a dog problem. I make sure that they always have food and grass. What am i doing wrong that they wont lay any eggs? Is it normal for chickens to stop laying for a while?

Not sure where you live, but they may be going through a molt and stopped laying for a while. Are they losing feathers ? They also may be a little stressed from the new surroundings.

my oegb hens did the same thing. i started giving them more protein via cat food sprinkled into their regular feed once in a while. now they're giving me eggs again.

You mentioned they had moved? Are they getting enough light? Chickens need 14 hours of sunlight or artificial light to produce eggs.
Are ya talkin' nice to 'em?
hugs.gif

Oh yeah, and they need plenty of fresh water, too.

Last edited:
My chickens were laying eggs before in their coop. just one day they just stopped. I have just went and bought some crumble feed for them so lets give them a week or so and see if that helps. They do get plenty of sunshine and at night the go up into their coop at night. They are in a pin that is about 10x10.

I live in NW GA. I have noticed my turkey is losing some feather, but not the chickens.

And i got out everyday and just hang out with my chickens...and turkey:D

Given that you live in the Southeastern U.S., it's possible that a snake (grey rat snake) is eating your chickens' eggs. A friend of mine thought her hens had stopped laying, then found several rat snakes in her hen house. Once the snakes were removed, eggs began to appear again.

You may want to try baiting for snakes with eggs inside a small cage. Once a snake enters the cage and eats an egg, it may not be able to completely escape through the cage bars while the egg is still intact inside it's body. The snake would be trapped there for a while - maybe long enough for you to catch it in the act. If eggs disappear after a few days from a cage, then at least you know that there must be something getting your chickens' eggs and your chickens might not have really stopped laying.

I know this is an old thread, but never got finished.

My friend that got me started in chickens told me another way to catch snakes that are eating the eggs, if you don't care about catching them alive. Put a plastic egg in the nest, the snake eats it, and no more snake.

But it doesn't seem likely to me that it would be a snake. Do you check on them during the day? Are they sitting on the nests? It seems like snakes would only come out at night, after you'd had a chance to collect any eggs.

I found this thread while scearching for reasons why my 2 hens, 10 months old, each laid 3-4 eggs about 2 months ago, then stopped.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Here's a good thread about why they stop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=423023

When
my eggs slow down I generally start looking for a snake, and usually find him. Right now they have slowed down because the teenage roosters need to go to the freezer.

A change in their world like a new pen will certainly do it, too. They just don't like change. They'll get over it.

Quote:
Do chickens react to rainy days as not having sunlight? Maybe that is why my girls have slowed production.???? It has been raining here off & on for over a week.

Back
Top Bottom