chickens not laying HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mycountrycabin, May 28, 2008.

1. mycountrycabin

mycountrycabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    rockingham,N.C.
    i have 6 hens and 1 rooster and all of my hens have stopped laying , why?

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Need more info....

Are they molting? Do you see a lot of feathers in the coop, any bare spots on them?

Any major changes in feed, location etc...

Are you sure they are not laying, maybe a snake is getting in & eating the eggs.....

3. mycountrycabin

mycountrycabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    rockingham,N.C.
    im sure their not laying because i watch them all the time and its like they quit all of them their is a couple of feathers but nothing major

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    what kind of chickens are they? Some hens are better layers than others. we have some that "go on strike" and others that keep laying all the time.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

How old are they?

Obelisk, my old bag of a Leghorn, just turned 5 on Monday and she lays most days from March until July when she moults.

If there's a few feathers, they may be starting to moult...most adult birds moult once a year. Some of them look practically naked and others only lose a few at a time.

6. CHICKENHEAD

CHICKENHEAD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    im having the same problem, my 2 cuckoo marans hens just quit laying. I am seeing feathers all over the place in their coop and a bald spot on one of the hens chest.

7. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    are they getting enough outside time or light? Maybe they have something stressing them out, that also stops them from laying. A racoon visitor that can't get in or anything like that at night but keeping them stressed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by