Chickens Not Laying

NY Chicky

Chirping
10 Years
May 21, 2013
Western NY
I have five mature hens (2 Silkies, 1 Americauna, 1 Buff Orpington and 1 Leghorn) Only the Leghorn is laying eggs (one a day, faithfully). I cannot figure out why the others aren't laying! The Silkies were the last girls introduced back in October of 2016 and all of the hens are about 3 years old. They have plenty of food and water, I give them scraps a few times a week. I first thought they were laying somewhere other than in the nesting boxes (they free range during the day quite often) so I kept them contained within their run and still only 1 lone white egg a day :-(
Any ideas on how to jump start these girls? Last year, they all laid an egg a day!

I have five mature hens (2 Silkies, 1 Americauna, 1 Buff Orpington and 1 Leghorn) Only the Leghorn is laying eggs (one a day, faithfully). I cannot figure out why the others aren't laying! The Silkies were the last girls introduced back in October of 2016 and all of the hens are about 3 years old. They have plenty of food and water, I give them scraps a few times a week. I first thought they were laying somewhere other than in the nesting boxes (they free range during the day quite often) so I kept them contained within their run and still only 1 lone white egg a day :-(
Any ideas on how to jump start these girls? Last year, they all laid an egg a day!
Time, you only have 1 that is bred to Lay----the leghorn. The others are not great egg layers and slow down a lot, then start back for a while then slow down again. Just give the others time.

Time, you only have 1 that is bred to Lay----the leghorn. The others are not great egg layers and slow down a lot, then start back for a while then slow down again. Just give the others time.
I don't know about that.... The Orpington is usually an excellent layer - one a day all summer the last two years, and the Americauna usually laid 2-3 eggs a week (the Silkies haven't laid at all, so you're right about that)

I don't know about that.... The Orpington is usually an excellent layer - one a day all summer the last two years, and the Americauna usually laid 2-3 eggs a week (the Silkies haven't laid at all, so you're right about that)
Sorry, Well Let me back up and Say "From my experience with 100's of orpingtons, and 100's of Americauna in the last few years, they Layed, but were not good steady layers for me---took to many breaks, the White leghorns stayed pretty steady as well at the RIR. The Silkie would lay a few them want to set---This is My experience, Your results can vary!! (Is that Better?? LOL) We want talk about the BCM, BRLW or any of the Wyandotte's, SS, etc, etc, etc.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend - but in my much more limited experience with this one Orpington, she was my best layer (better than the Leghorn, often, since the leghorn would stop and take a break every few months). It's been quite a while since the slackers have laid (since February!) so I can't figure out why they are on strike :-/

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend - but in my much more limited experience with this one Orpington, she was my best layer (better than the Leghorn, often, since the leghorn would stop and take a break every few months). It's been quite a while since the slackers have laid (since February!) so I can't figure out why they are on strike :-/
You did not offend me. I got rid of all my orpingtons because ""MINE"" were not really good layers-----maybe because of where they came from, their parents, and grand parents. I always Loved YB Orp. but they probably only layed 200 eggs per year?? I am Glad yours are Laying good. Makes me want to hunt a better "blood line". I sure like them---if mine had of layed better.

Three years old is old for a hen. Egg laying rates go down quickly after year two. If you want more egg, then you would need to get younger hens. If not, then you will have less eggs from now on.

Three years old is old for a hen. Egg laying rates go down quickly after year two. If you want more egg, then you would need to get younger hens. If not, then you will have less eggs from now on.
Oh - well maybe that's why the girls are on strike - I have 4 new chickies (they are 9 weeks old) so hopefully I'll get some eggs in the late fall :-/

Oh - well maybe that's why the girls are on strike - I have 4 new chickies (they are 9 weeks old) so hopefully I'll get some eggs in the late fall :-/
:thumbsup
The older ones will lay again but they will have longer breaks between laying cycles and will stop laying usually between 4 and 5 years old.
If the 9 week old pullets start before winter, they should continue laying eggs for you.

Back
Top Bottom