chickens not laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenman7713, Nov 13, 2014.

1. chickenman7713

chickenman7713 New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    I'm new at this. 3 weeks ago I bought my son 25week old welsummers and rhode island reds that's now 28weeks old and still not laying, there getting a high protein mix. can anyone help. thanks

2. LogCabinChicks

LogCabinChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Hi! Welcome to backyardchickens...you will learn a LOT from this site. I sure did. [​IMG]

Well, they could be shy or just not quite ready. You should switch to a layers feed for the added calcium that they need once they start laying. They will need high protein only when they molt or during the winter if they stop laying. Do they seem happy? Every evening when I come home from work I call to them and they all run to the run door in a great big stampede. They are waiting for their treat. I enter the run and I give them whole grain or whole wheat bread -- small tiny pieces, and our game lasts about 10 minutes. They will even fly up to my hands to try and steal it if I'm taking too long. Does he talk to them? They will talk to you and answer you back. Give them time. Its all new for them. New people, new coop, new run...new new new. Hang in there. Happy chicks lay lots of eggs.

Plus, giving them the bread treats serves another purpose -- if they ever get out (one day my husband forgot to latch the run door....) I told him to go grab the bread and he slowly "treated" them back to the run. Works like a charm. Much easier than chasing 28 hens. [​IMG]

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. There are a number of reasons why chickens stop laying. Improper nutrition (sounds like that's not a reason in your case), inadequate lighting, disease, broodiness, molting, etc. Are you sure of the age of your hens? Could they be either younger or older than you were told? Also, could they be eating the eggs (if so, you should find some evidence of shell particles in the nest). Could they be laying in a hidden nest somewhere instead of the nest boxes? A lot of new members think that their hens are not laying only to find the eggs later in a hidden nest (often a considerable distance from the nest box). Hopefully through the process of elimination, you can fiqure out why you aren't getting any eggs. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting those eggs.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Welcome! I agree with everything that's already been said, and would add a couple of more things that may be at work here. They've had a change in environment, and that can always set them back if they were close to laying. They don't do change well - rearrange their "furniture" and they act like you've ruined their lives forever. And chickens aren't made with cookie cutters - each one is different. The ones you got for your son just might not be ready to lay yet. They are within the approximate age tor laying (if the information you were given is correct) but they don't follow a set laying calendar - some lay earlier and some don't start until later than the average. Don't panic yet - the only chicken I've ever heard of that never laid an egg was the one who crowed. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. In addition to what Blooie mentioned about your hens adjusting to their new environment, loss of daylight due to the change of seasons has an effect on egg laying. They will lay when they are good and ready, have patience.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes many things can cause a decrease in egg production. Stress, lack of food, water, light or calcium, predators, bullying, etc.

Here is a great link to check out also.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/why-are-my-hens-not-laying

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Looks like you have been given some great advice here! Definitely take a look a the thread that Mountain Peeps has left for you. Lots of good reading there and you can also post questions there too.

Good luck and I hope they start laying soon for you!

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by