1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

chickens not roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spunkyfroggie, Aug 2, 2014.

1. spunkyfroggie

spunkyfroggie In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Louisville Kentucky
    As new chicken owners we didn't know to close off the nesting boxes. We had roosting bars in the coop but they would all lay together in the nesting boxes. Now that we have closed off the nesting boxes the continue to huddle together and sleep. Is this a problem? If so what do we do? Thanks in advance for any help. Btw we only have three chickens.

2. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Songster

Dec 27, 2009
    How old are your chickens? It can sometimes take them awhile to begin roosting. I have had chickens that began roosting at a few weeks old and some that didn't get on the roost to sleep until they were a few months old, but usually in the end they all do.
    CJ

3. spunkyfroggie

spunkyfroggie In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Louisville Kentucky

Not totally sure we got them may 31. As lil chicks.
    [​IMG]

This is them now.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. chickenhound

chickenhound Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    All chickens are different. Some will learn to roost quickly and others it will take well past 8 weeks. Don't worry they will roost as long as your roosting bars aren't too high. We have a flock that is 12 weeks old and some started to roost at 8 or nine weeks. They all roost at night now. Good luck with
    the flock

5. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Songster

Dec 27, 2009
    So maybe 10+ weeks old. Do you have a lower roost that is easy to get up on? I usually start with a very low bar in the brooder for them to practice on and then we usually have a "ramp" leading up to the real roosting bar as this makes it easier for them to get up. My chicks have huddled together (this is how they are used to doing it) after I moved them from the brooder to the coop for quite some time. It usually takes just one to get up on the roost and the rest will follow. I have at least one or two hens that will never get on the roost. (due to pecking order) The problems that arise from not getting on the roost are mostly things like broken, soiled eggs and perhaps even egg eating at some point. It is also easier for them to have infestations such as mites. You can train them to roost by going out after dark when they are all huddled together,with a small flashlight (preferably one with a colored light) and placing them on the roost yourself. This may take a week or two but it usually works. Make sure it is really dark and they are "sleeping" and use as little fussing as possible so they won't want to just jump down right away.
    CJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: